Sim2 HT300 problem

-Spike-

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Decided to have a little demo session this afternoon on my HT300 (not +) with the Two Towers DVD.

Anyway after about an hour I noticed the fan noise was gradually increasing, it was becoming more and more high pitched.
It definitely didn't sound right so I switched the unit to standby for a few minutes and then switched it on again. The noise was back but also the picture started to become very white, gradually increasingly so - this occurred both on the DVD and on my Arcam players' setup menu.
Switched off again and left for several minutes, back on again and the noise had gone along with the "white effect".

I tried several more times to replicate what had happened but it didn't re-appear. What I did notice was a flicker on only the top half of the screen which only happens once the pj is switched on.
Also possibly worth mentioning is that the pj hasn't been used for at least several months, could it just be some sort of long overdue warm-up problem?
I guess to be sure I need to watch a film through to give it a good test but wondered if any of you had any ideas or suggestions?

For info:
Sim2 HT300 ver. 2.13, 111 hours
Arcam DV88P via component
Mounted upside down in a dedicated room - could dust have got into the fan area?

Any replies welcome, thanks for looking.

I think you could possibly try cleaning the fan, is it rather dusty at all?

That's the only thing I could think of

Thanks for the reply Dimmy.

It's difficult to see if dust has got into the vents around the fan as I have it mounted so near to the ceiling. Beginning to wonder if it was something to do with the fan and overheating though.

Think I'll email Alan Roser at Owl and see what he says.
Any other comments welcome though.

Best wishes

Are you sure it's the fan not the colour wheel? As that changes speed for different modes. It may just be a software lockup. If it does it again, try unplugging it from the mains (hard re-boot) rather than switching to standby. Mine got it's knickers in a twist a few months ago, switching to standby didn't cure it but after I unplugged it for a minute or two it was fine.

Write down all your user settings first though as it may lose them.

i agree, it could be justa blip, my pj (lcd model) wouldnt show the boot up screen, swtiched off at the wall, switched it back on, worked fine and every time since.

Chips / Geoff,

Thanks for the replies guys I really appreciate it.

Well maybe (and hopefully) it is just a blip.
Good point chips - it could have been the colour wheel but the increased noise was continual after many scenes.
It's now off at the mains until Saturday when it will then get the Fellowship EE treatment possibly followed (if I can stay awake) by TTT.
That should show any faults I would have thought. Still a bit worried by this increasing whitening effect that I saw though but we'll see at the weekend.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

hi there, this may help you...

I had troubles with my sim2 dmf and dv88+ and the following fixed most of my problems...

1. goto arcam setup menu.
2. type 2010 on the remote
3. this should bring you into a CRT menu. from here turn the CRT mode to off.

It worked for me anyways, though your setup may be different.

Good luck

CaM

Thanks CaM,

From memory I think it's off anyway but I'll have a look.

Hi Steve,

This sound really strange and a new one to me, if it happens again then I think we need to have a look at it.

By the way, Owl no longer handle SIM2 products we now have a dedicated UK operation with direct links to the factory in Italy.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further problems.

Best Regards

Alan Roser
Managing Director
SIM2 UK Ltd

Thanks very much for the reply Alan.
I'll give the pj a good run this weekend, hopefully all will be fine :)

Very best of luck with the new dedicated UK operation and thanks for the contact details, don't forget you can contact me through this site when you get any vacancies ;)

Best wishes

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom