1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 HT300 Plus

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Edgeyboy, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Hi

I am interested in the new Sim2 HT300 plus.

Does anybody have any experience of this projector ? How are its' black levels / how good is the built in deinterlacer ? How bad is the rainbow effect ?

How would it compare to a Seleco 500 CRT ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tom.

2. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it worth here's my opinion of a demo I had of the HT300.

I have a Sharp 9000, which uses the same DMD, so I was expecting very similar results but perhaps with a smoother picture due to the better scaler in the Sim.
    As it turned out I was mostly correct, the image looked good from all sources, very smooth and natural, good black detail, but I did find the HT300 to be dim and lacked the punch of the sharp. It really needs a totally light sealed room for best performance.
    I also found it to be very noisy which is something I couldn't have put up with for this money. I was constantly aware of the whining in the background.
    So to sum up here's the pro's and cons against the sharp for reference:

HT300 Pro's:
    Good black level (slightly better than the sharp)
    Good scaler (noticeably better than the sharps one).
    High quality sealed optics.
    Long lamp life (if you believe the figures)
    Cool looking and compact.

HT300 Con's:
    Very noisy (unless you really crank up volume)
    Dim picture that lacked the punch of the sharp.
    Cheap and nasty looking remote control.
    Very expensive compared with the sharp which can be imported
    for under £4000 now I here.

What would I buy?
    Obviously I gonna say the sharp for the price.
    But I must say when you feed the sharp a good progressive scan signal the differences the HT300's scaler makes is very small indeed. So I would import the sharp for £4000 ish and feed it PAL progressive from something like Hivizones's Philips 962SA and spend the £4500 ish you've saved on a long holiday.

Just a thought.

Technophobe

4. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    From the info I've gleened, I don't yhink I'm going to gain anything over my CRT yet.

I'll think wait another year for the next gen DLP chips.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

Tom

5. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technophobe are you feeding your sharp with the Hivizone`s philips 962SA...if so are you happy with it.....esp in Prog Pal mode ??,also what did it cost you ??.....I`m still running mine off a pioneer 737 with prog scan on NTSC only,never seen the sharp run prog scan PAL..........yet

6. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paulsa,

I've been using the Sharp 9000 with the Hivizone 962SA for a couple of months now and I must say I'm impressed.
    I know the sharp has good de-interlacer but it is still improved with PS player, presumably because the de-interlacing is done at source.
    It's odd though at first sight I thought the improvement be very marginal over my old non PS player (Tosh 210E) but after you get used to watching the smooth images the Philips produces and then switch back to interlaced it screams at you.
    I'm also impressed with the black level detail that the Philips produces and the over all build quality of the player.
    So far it's played everything I've thrown at it perfectly not even a hick-up in PAL PS mode. The SACD is cool too.
    I suspect I've paid a little more than most for the player probably because I'm too honest and declared the full value of the item to customs and paid £120 in duty as a result.
    As far as Hivizone goes I've no complaints at all and received the player within about three days packed in two boxes.
    The overall cost of the player was around £580 which compared to anything that's available in the UK is still quite good value.

The 963 looks to be even better with it's 108Mhz Video DAC's. though.

Technophobe

7. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks technophobe,yup i got to agree,the more things i watch on NTSC with prog scan the smoother `action and panning `etc. appears when you compare it to Non Prog PAL,got so say though i am happy with the picture from the 737,I had intended to buy a 747,but was getting mucked around with the Prog Scan Pal Chip, so I thought the 737 would do until Prog Scan Pal became more ` mainstream`,glad to hear your comments on the philips and i`ll have a look at the 963,plus for a `fully` prog scan player that price is not bad:), BTW I will soon be trying the sharp through a `Rock`so I`ll let you know what that does to the picture quality........should be interesting.......hope it`s not that much better,or i`ll be even more out of pocket,If it`s that good probably around £3.5 k !!! :rolleyes:

8. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: £3.5K That's the price of a good projector!
    Still be interested to here what you think of it though.
    I here there will soon be laptops available that use the ATI Radion Chipset which maybe another thing to try at some point. I'm tempted to try HCPC but don't think I could stand the bulk and noise, a small laptop could sit on the AV shelf as a DVD player would and shouldn't be to noisy.

Technophobe