1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 HT300 playing up!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by godzilla, Mar 11, 2003.

1. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've been waiting to sort out my long running Denon DVD-A1 prog scan issue when used in conjunction with my Sim2, but 2 nights ago, the projector went mad and projects a wildly jittering image via component and s-video inputs.
    I can barely make out what is happening on screen and this applies to all inputs other than "graphics rgb" which is connected to my PC.
    The flicker seems to be mainly horizontal and in full colour. Tried fiddling with all the cables to no avail.
    Signals are being routed through a Denon AVC A1SR.

Any ideas?

2. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I was just hours away from the nice man from Prestige coming to take my toy away and the proj seems to have "cured" itself!
    Despite neither Prestige or Owl suggesting it could make any difference, I switched the Sim2 off using the power switch on the back panel (from standby, of course) and when I switched it back on today, it works again. Must have reset and lost whatever glitch it had picked up.

Unfortunately that hasn't solved the poor progressive scan image, but at least I didn't have to lose the use of it for a week unnecessarily...

3. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    'zilla - or can I call you god:)
    Mine did something similar about 7 months ago before blowing altogether. Ended up needing a replacement video board, so it may be worth getting it checked just in case.
    Andy

4. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the heads-up Doc (can I call you "Doc"?), are you suggesting I give up the unit now, before it goes wrong? If it's gonna blow, why not just wait until it does, provided it's still under warranty?
    Or does it blow up with such force that other components (or my house) may be in danger?!

Actually, I am still going to get the guys from Prestige to come round and update the software (it's only running 2.06) and get their opinion on the crap DVD-A1 prog scan picture as well as suggest a solution to the lack of RGBS switching, now I have upgraded from a Denon A1-D that used to pass RGBS signals no prob to an AVC-A1SR that won't...

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
  6. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Gordon,
    Interlaced is fine from the Denon DVD-A1, but once I switch to prog scan, there is a noticeable yellowy-green tint to the picture and there are distortions/kinks to vertical lines e.g. THX Optimiser menu screen.
    I've tried tweaking the various parameters on both units, but the problem persists.
    I've asked Ben from Discount TV who supplied the DVD-A1 to ask Denon if they've had similar probs, but he has yet hear from them.

The frustration ls in trying to isolate which unit is to blame!

(BTW, I've just been reliably informed that we've met many years ago when I visited Stereo Stereo with my Glaswegian mate!)

7. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi,

Godzilla, the first thing I'd definately recommend is updating your pj software. There was a huge leap from 2.06 to 2.07, let alone whatever the HT300 (not +) is on now.
    I'm currently on 2.07 and have 2.09 from Owl ready to upgrade but I hear there is a newer version out soon (2.12?) so rather than adjust all the settings I think I'll hang on.

I use prog' scan to great effect (IMO) which I think is produces a better picture than interlaced. My player is an Arcam DV88P.
    Strangely enough I have the same distortion/kinks - a line near the top of the screen in interlaced :confused:
    Could I suggest you also try a DVD without Macrovision to see if that makes any difference?

I'm no expert in this field at all but I hope some of the above maybe of (little) help

Hope you sort things soon
    Best wishes

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Green/Yellow tint,

OK, he Sim2ht300 has two memories in its little head for greyscale tracking. IE even if it says mid temp setting it will load up different settings in background dependant on scan rate (at least this is what I am led to believe, but have not checked). If this is the case your green/yellow tint could quite easily be caused by the different settings not being the same or as accurate as the interlaced ones.

I'd also suggest carefully setting contrast and brightness on the DVD players outputs when using prog scan as it should be fairly easy to clip white and black detail with that combination.

Kinks in vertical lines......I'd look to a software upgrade to see if that gives a fix.

Oh and as we may have met in the past, :hiya: Hello again!

Gordon

9. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    'zilla

Blow up is a figurative term. It actually just stopped working following a period of picture disturbance. But my concern for you was to avoid it actually dying just after a warrenty expires. Software wise I would definitely get your upgrade done. I believe 2.12 is available but some people on the US forums have gone back to 2.10 as they have had problems with v2.12. So if you can lay your hands on 2.10 (prestige should have it) go for that for now.