1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 HT200DM - advice on user settings required

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JLucas, Oct 1, 2001.

1. JLucas

JLucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that the NRS would be a poor choice for the HT200DM because the DM has 2 resolution modes and the NRS is fixed to a single res. A scaler would be a good to improve other inputs such as Sky Digital and games consoles. For DVDs a scaler would be a bit of a waste unless you used an anamorphic lens to strech 800x600. If you really wanted a scaler I would look at the Quadscan or the Vigatec.

[ 01-10-2001: Message edited by: JLucas ]</p>

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    You should really invest in video essentials or avia. These will get you 80% there on most of these issues.

Gamma ( bit of a can of worms especially on digitally addressed display devices) depends on what the gamma control is refering to ie overall result when fed a nominal videospace source with a gamma of 2.2 ? or what the display gamma of the unit itself is? ideally you want both to result in 1. ie 2.2 on your video images and 0.6 or there about on your display giving you a nice flat response of 1. ( open to debate a bit as video colourspace actually has a bit of a toe and a shoulder on it ie its not a linear response but you won't see it 99% of the time)

Chris Frost might be able to advise you on this ( you can set gamma reasonably by eye using a grayscale ramp like the one in VE anyway) Look for abrupt drop offs into the lowest blacks and highest whites in an image to indicate gamma is off or going the other way flatness at either end of the intensity scale. ( lack of percieved contrast even with the whitepoint and black level set correctly)

Colour temp for video should be nearest to 6500K you can get. Worth getting this calibrated : again chris might be able to indicate how accurate the sim is out of the box.

frequency might refer to colour frequency ie PAL or NTSC. Phase might be tint/hue control for NTSC.

3. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just recently received and installed my Sim2 & am very pleased with it, with the possible exception of increased noice once I mounted it upside down!

Anyway - I have a couple of questions for owners out there:

1) Many picture setting features are disabled once you use the Pro Scan setting - is that because the projector can't make changes for that type of signal?

2) Brightness & Contrast - any suggestions for optimum settings? Or is it just a case of trial & error?

3) Frequency, Phase settings - I haven't got a clue about these - can anyone advise, or are they best left alone?

4) Gamma, Colur temperature - again, any suggestions for 'optimum' settings gratefully received!

5) Finally - scalers. The person I bought the projector from highly recommended I also buy a Faroudja NRS to 'upgrade' the picture! As it is only a SVGA unit anyway, and I already have a Progressive Scan DVD player, what difference would this make? Also - what other units would make a less expensive improvement perhaps?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks - Paul

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Paul, welcome to the projector club. Now, to address those questions...

5. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Many thanks to those who have responded!

AVIA on order.

Paul