Sim2 HT200 Configuration

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NeilH, Nov 17, 2002.

1. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have finally got round to installing the above projector together with an iScan Pro.
    Picture quality is good but not as good as I remember it from various demos.

I know that this is not a limitation of the kit but my own inexperience.

Can anyone give me any pointers re recommended settings for contrast, brightness etc?

Thanks

Neil.

2. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Neil,

Would have answered sooner but forum is real slow today.

Avia would be good if you have it. If not, do you have a DVD with THX optimiser on it? If so set up white & black levels as per the instructions on the disc.

Set all Iscan knobs to centre (detent position) and make adjustments in PJ. What screen do you have? Mine is 1.5 gain and PJ will be set up to match 1.5 if you have not changed anything.

What DVD player are you using? If it's a prog scan machine, you must set it to interlaced for use with the Iscan. Is PJ correctly focused?

3. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tony.

you have PM

4. carrera2rs

carrera2rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done a lot of experimentation with the set up of my projector, I am now very happy with the black levels and detail etc. On a good disc it's bloody awesome !

I bought a Video essentials set up disc to adjust the contrast and brightness. I ended up with brightness 50 and contrast 54, sometimes 53 I adjust with a minor tweek on some films. I tried a lot of settings thinking I could improve things over this set up and couldn't. clearly your projector maybe different.

I use a Toshiba SD900E with a very good component cable this delivers progressive signal and does a good job on NTSC Region 1 discs, a whole heap better than Region 2 in 'make shift' progressive. I have adjusted the contrast marginally on this player to just +1. I have tried tweeking Gamma, but found the standard settings for this best with my set up. Ditto tint etc, etc

Next tweek that really works is making sure you surround your image screen in black, self adhesive felt is best. If you have a 6ft by 6ft then make it 16:9 ratio with felt from John Lewis a few pounds only (needs care and a friend to help BUT IS WELL WORTH IT).

Final tweek is to make a 'frame' that sits 12" or so in front of the projector to remove most of the halo effect and bleed of light around the picture. Is your projector a DM ? This is much better than a non DM for this BUT it still makes a big difference.

I also defocus the picture very slightly until the small dot in the centre of the pixels just fades. not too much so there is clear blurring close up but just enough to soften the pixels close up. GO OUT OF FOCUS WITH THE MINUS BUTTON, NOT THE PLUS BUTTON ! This does look better one way and not the other !!!!!

There is a reason, my bruv who talks about vignetting or smoething like this with out of focus flim pictues looking better camer to camera. Mad but true !....

Good luck

PS my home e-mail is knackered so for the timebeing I can't do PM

5. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Neil,

I sent you a PM last night saying to phone me but the site was so slow you may not have got it.

From the above it looks like you have got the contrast set way too high. Turn down the contrast setting on the PJ until you can JUST see all eight boxes, they are IN the large white rectangle. When you have done that, go to the next test and set brightness so you can JUST see the large THX letters. Then re-adjust contrast on test one and so on a few times as contrast and brightness are interactive.

When you have got contrast and brightness set, adjust colour saturation so that it looks right for you. This should get you fairly close until your Avia turns up.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Set the SIM2 to factory defaults for brightness and contrast then leave alone just now. Adjust the Contrast on the ISCAN to see the white boxes. From my experience with Iscan and HT200 the Iscan's factroy defaults crush the white level information and this in unrecoverable with the controls of the projector. So adjust front panel controls of Iscan first then wory about PJ after.

You really want a disc like AVIA for this. In fact your dealer should be doing it for you!

Gordon

7. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Gordon,

This is a machine that Neil bought SH from me, I had it set up correctly using Avia but it must have lost the settings. On this particular PJ/Iscan combination I found that it setup ok on Avia tests with all Iscan controls set to detent and adjustments made on PJ, contrast had to be quite low but there was enough adjustment available. Do you think it varies from machine to machine?

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
  9. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Guys,

just got in from work and ready to have a go at getting this sorted.

Have printed off all of your suggestions and will see which works.

Tony - as Gordon suggested, I think you should come and set this up for me:D

Thanks for all of your help.

I may need more;)

Neil.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    I guess the amount you saved getting it S/H means youcouldalmost afford a dealer to come set itup for you.....;)

Gordon

11. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that I am doing something fundamentally stupid here as I cannot get anything remotely approaching a decent image.

I can't seem to get any crispness to the image quality and the colour is not right.

What am I missing?

Neil.

12. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hmmmm...........strange.:confused:

I don’t know if it’s possible to get a picture, albeit poor, if there is a fundamental set-up problem.

You have a Sony 735 is this set to output component?

Is the PJ set to the correct input?

Cable problem?

I’m stumped, over to Gordon.

13. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tony,

PJ is set for correct input and DVD player is also set for component output.

One thing in particular puzzles me here. I have noticed that the resolution semms to change. Please excuse my complete ignorance here but what cuases this? Sometimes it is 600x400 and other times it is 800x600.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

Looks like I need a visit from the flying PJ Doctor (Gordon?) :(

Neil.

14. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    640x480 Region 1 (NTSC)
    800x600 Region 2 (PAL)
    I'm not sure why it does this but it always did.

Stupid question, but is your room dark?

Did you end up getting a new cable? Could be a problem there, dry joint or short or just V poor quality.

I think Gordon is your best bet. Mind you you will end up buying a Stewart screen.:D

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
  16. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Neil,

Tom the GuitarMan posted this in the other place. Could this be the problem?

Try this:
    In the Source selection try switching source selections.
    If you're using a progressive scan dvd - try YCrCb-32khz and
    try RGBS-32khz.

If you hv a interlaced dvd - try the YCrCb- 15khz source and
    the RGBS-15khz source

I'm using a progressive DVD player and for kicks I just changed the source selection from YCrCb-32khz to RGBS-32khz, what I got is a washed out picture, no blacks basically a green picture.
    good luck.

17. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tony,

tried this a day or so back but i already had it set correctly.

I have a loan of a few other cables today so will try these out tonight and let you know.

18. James Buckle

James Buckle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil H

I'm fairly new to these forums but work at Owl Video Systems and know the Sim2 products very well. There is some excellent advice already on this thread but will offer a little more if it helps.

I personally set all the controls to neutral on the iscan. Make sure the silver toggle switches are set to "normal" and "YPBPr" and that the lead you are using from the iscan to the projector is VGA to component, not VGA to VGA. Sharpness is disabled if the input from the source to the iscan is component, but you can adjust colour saturation and I find that it tends to need just a touch more colour but this is very much a matter of taste.

Typically when you use the iscan, you need to reduce the contrast on the HT200. In the abscence of AVIA or Video Essentials, I would say bring it down to 39 initially and see what you get. You may need to up this slightly if the lamp has a significant number of hours on it.

Please feel free to contact me at Owl if you would like any further help.

19. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    James/Tony/Gordon,

thanks for all the input. I've tried every permutation of settings on the PJ and iScan and still no joy. I also borrowed a friends PJ (a cheap and cheerful Sanyo) which produced a much better picture than I have managed to get on my HT200. I am therefore convinced that this is either a cable problem or a PJ issue.

To get to the bottom of the problem, I have ordered a new component cable to connect the DVD player to the iScan and Alan Roser of Owl has kindly agreed to provide a new 10m component cable on a sale or return basis to connect the iScan to the PJ.

If I am still unable to get things working properly Gordon plans to be in Yorkshire in a couple of weeks and will hopefully be able to put things right then.

Thanks again for all the help and advice, it's much appreciated.

I'll let you know how things progress.

20. carrera2rs

carrera2rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone lives near Berkhamsted and wants to see a standard HT200DM with a reasonably well set up Toshiba SD900E I would be happy to compare / demonstrate and even bring over the projector / player if this might help any comparisons percieved problems ?

:cool: