1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 HT 300 Link and Xtra - Anyone seen them in action?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mgoldsmith, Oct 28, 2003.

1. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen either/or of these machines? I'm interested in any feedback over these 2 new sim2 projectors.
    The 300Plus is a damn fine machine, but it's lack of HDCP support on the DVI is of concern seeing as many upcoming DVD player include this copy protection for digital video transmission.

thanks

Matt.G

2. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw 300 xtra on demo at the Home Entertainment show in Manchester the other weekend. As far as connectivity etc is concerned i havent a clue, but the picture was simply stunning. It was extremely sharp and detailed and the blacks were amazing. The sale rep said contrast was running at 2800:1.

If only it wasn't so expensive!

3. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for replying.... i'm most curious to know the improvements over the 300Plus, and whether or not the DVI output on the "Xtra" supports HDCP as the sim2 site doesn't specify...even though Sim2 are listed as one of the new and many supporters of HDCP (there's also the complete user manual for the 300 Link on the sim2 site if anyone is interested in reading up on it)

Matt.G

4. alistair

alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a proud owner after many months of demos. just couldn't find anything wrong with it and can't praise it enough. Do shop around though as I may not have been so enthusiastic at the RRP!
    Not sure on connectivity as I have a traditional amp connection but just wanted to give the pj the thumbs up.
    Good luck

5. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Matt,

SIM2 is supporting the HDMI and Firewire route as far as digital connection is concerned and this appears to be the choice of DVD manufactures although it is early days.

There are many differences between the 300plus and the Xtra.

Of course the HD2+ chip is fitted which has the "dimple fix" along with this and enhancements to our light engine we now have a contrast ratio of 2800:1. Black level is improved further and there is a noticable difference in low light shadow detail - not quite on the same levels of CRT but it is getting very close.

Enhanced colour wheel and a reduction of the number of fans means that the noise levels have been reduced dramatically. Also light leakage from the underneath of the cabinet has been reduced by over 50%.

Average lamp life is now running at 8000 which means the cost of long term ownership is lower than others brands. In fact we are now seeing original HT200's coming in to us for service and the lamp timers are over 9500 hours!

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd

6. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply.

Does the support of HDMI then mean it incorporates HDCP?

I thought only the 300 LINK has HDMI/HDCP, as the sim2 website specs for the 300 Xtra say it only has a DVI-D.(and makes no mention of HDMI or HDCP support...which i thought was an odd omission.)

i read on the INFOCUS website that even if a DVI input on a projector does not support HDCP you can still use this input from a device that does support HDCP (for backward compatibility of DVI), "BUT" only when the source device has it's resolution lowed to 480 or 576? (standard def).
    The idea with HDCP is soley for the protection of high def digital, and not standard def digital (as you can get from a DVD player).

and just out of curiousity what the the UK prices for these 2 units? they haven't been released to Australia yet and i haven't been able to get a price on them. (the 300plus sells for $AUD25,000 the 200DM (the small 16x9 jobby) is $AUD15,000, and the standard 200 is $AUD10,000).

I'm looking at getting the Marantz DV8400. have you had the opportunity to mate these 2 together? i'd be interested to know what makes for a good match with the new 300 series (via DVI)

thanks

Matt.G