1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIM2 - HDMI DVD deck query. A couple of questions.....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, May 16, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I have a question about my SIM2 30 H displaying an image via my Pioneer 868, connected via HDMI.

I am a bit lost :confused:

If I tell the DVD to output 720 and ask the PJ to display pixel to pixel, I understand that this is scaling the image. However, which if indeed either unit is doing the deinterlacing, or am I missing the point - what I am wondering, is as it is HDMI, is this by-passed?!??!

Also, of the two, the DVD and the PJ, which has the better deinterlacer?

Finally, if I press the progressive button the front of the DVD deck is it actually doing anything, or would this only apply via component?!?!?

So many questions. However, either way, I love the PQ but was wondering just last night!?!?! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Pete.

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Pete

Using HDMI and setting your DVD player to 1280x720 and your Domino 30H to Pixel to Pixel you are by-passing the Domino's scaler and de-interacer .
    This means adjusting the video settings in the Pioneer 868.

On the Pioneer 868, go to "Video Adjust Menu"-"Detailed Settings"-"Memory1" if you have any de-intelacing issues. There you will find "Pure Cinema" where you have a choice of ON, OFF, AUTO 1 AND AUTO 2. AUTO 1 is the default, but don't be afraid to try other settings. I use ON quite a lot.

The button on the front of the Pioneer 868 will have no effect when using HDMI, only when using the analogue component output.

Jeff

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Ah ha, I see. Is this the best option then Jeff....?

In your experience, which has the better deinterlacer and scaler, or is it swings and roundabouts?

One thing I have noticed is that when I was using component, I had an option for professional on the 868 which has since gone....odd, but I assume this is a non HDMI thing.

Thanks,

Pete.

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Pete

Setting the Pioneer 868 to 1280x720 and the Sim2 to Pixel to Pixel and using the HDMI input will give you the best picture quality.

In the Pioneer 868's Video Adjust Menu when you use Component you have a choice of TV/PDP/PROFESSIONAL and MEMORY 1-3. When using HDMI the choices are DIRECT/NATURAL/ENHANCED and MEMORY 1-3. Best to stick with the MEMORY settings as you have adjustment over about 14 different Video parameters. Time to get Avia out :)

Jeff

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Great.

Thanks Jeff.

Cheers.

Pete.