Sim2 Domino 30H Flickering / questions...

Mustang

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I wonder if I could receive a few opinions from anyone this strikes a chord with...

Over the last year, my projector (which is no longer under warranty) has started flickering when I'm watching a film on my Xbox / Blu Ray player - this does not happen immediately when using it.

It was happening at first after around an hour, now it takes between 10 mins and 45 mins (nothing solid) and the flicker seems to be triggered / visible by images with large amounts of white in them (eg I was watching Apocalypto last night and it wasnt until the "river crossing" and "mountainside dangle" that the flickering started. All the jungle scenes, although bright and colourful up till then were fine.
If I shut off the projector by pressing standby, then power it off at the switch once the fan has finished it's cooldown cycle, then power up and turn on again the flickering abates for a period but inevitably comes back these days.

I hadnt noticed this until I bought my Xbox and started watching 720p HD WMVs through it and it has continued into my (sony 550) BR viewing (again, at the projector's native 720p). My Denon DVD player has never shown this problem (2930 upscaling to 720p), yet all three are connected through the same cable into a splitter. I have tried eliminating the splitter and directly plugging the HDMI into the BR but this does not fix it. The cable runs up the wall, into the ceiling, under the floor and pops out of the ceiling again at the projector, it is under the recommended maximum length for HDMI so I dont think that's the prob.

My lamp is at 3333 hours, this probably started around 2000 ish hours (out of a rough lamplife estimate of 6000 hours for these pjs I believe)

When it isnt flickering, PQ is good and apart from some image corruption occasionally on the XBOX I have no other problems. If i show hi-white images after rebooting, the images are fine, they only seem to start after the pj has been running for a period.

I have arrived at the following conclusions that I reckon are responsible :

- Lamp is faulty
- Cooling is inadequate (although I have opened it up and it's clean as a whistle in the case : havent touched the lightbox though - not that brave.
- Power supply for the Project needs to be "cleaner"
- Firmware needs updated.

has anyone been through a similiar scenario with their projector?

Any help appreciated, this is driving me nuts!

:lease:

you're not alone I have a HT 380 & experienced this but it is really very rare indeed which makes me think that this is a lamp issue. If it is too much of a problem to you then I would be inclined to contact Sim2 UK and see if they can help. There is a few guys in their tech dept that might help or Alan Roser who is a really helpfull and nice guy.HTH
regards
Dave

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom