Sim2 Domino 20H OR Infocus 5700 ?

M

MarkCohen

Interested in a new projector.

Magazine reviews suggest that the Infocus 5700 is better value than the Sim2 Domino 20H. What do users think ? My retailer wants to supply the Sim2 as they say its picture is superior. However I want to run a 7 ft 16:9 screen from a projection distance of 15 ft - the longer throw of the sim2 projector limits the screen to 6 ft.

Should I be looking at other DLP projectors in this price range ?

Grateful for sage advice.

Thanks

Mark

Having seen both the Sim2 Domino 20 and the Infocus 5700, my opinion is that the 20 produces a better picture.

If you want to consider other projectors with the same resolution(1024x576) you have a reasonable choice.

Below £2000 you have the Nec HT510, Mitsubishi HC900, Benq Pe7800 and the Optoma H57.

Above £2000 there is the Sharp XV-Z200E, Projectiondesign Action model zero five and the Runco CL-510.

I have only seen the Sim2 and the infocus so I cannot comment on the performance of the rest.

Foghorn

I have also seen both machines and for my money the Domino is the one to get. Greater clarity, better colours and incredible field depth.The picture really jumps out of the screen on that one!

If possible, the retailer should be able to demo both side by side. Then you can make your own mind up. If he ONLY sells one, then it's no suprise that he promotes that model over the other. I just say audition both as the Infocus 5700 has won every group test it's been in with What Hi-FI magazine and has been awarded their Overal Best Projector of 2004. Yet others say the Sim2 Domino 20 is better. It would seem therefore that a lot is down to personal opinion and as you are shelling out quite a considerable amount of money, I don't think an audition of both would be too much to ask from a retailer.

Good luck ! :thumbsup:

I had the same dilemma a few months back and demoed both the Domino and the 5700.

In the end, we opted for the 5700. Partly due to the lower £2k price tag, plus that we couldn't really tell much/any difference between images from the 2 projectors.

To us, the Domino is a huge, ugly mis-shapen lump that would have hung from our ceiling looking 'orrible! The 5700 is a much more tidy piece of kit.

We are very pleased, projecting a 7' wide image from 15' back.

I've always liked the colours and smooth image Sim2 products can deliver.

I've seen all the Sim2 range, and they're all capable of producing very colour accurate and realistic images, but of course, price is often a consideration, that's why a demo is so important.

You can guarentee a great image and good support from the Sim, but you can't appreciate that until you've seen other pjs as a comparison. Also, image quality is often source dependant, so take into account that an HDMI or DVI player should produce a better image than if being fed from component.

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom