1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 Domino 20H and color temperature

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nuno Santos, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My D20H finally arrived :clap: and yesterday I started to setting it all up.

The first thing I tried was to change the color temp, but the 20H is different from the 20. I seem to recall that on the 20 (that I had on demo), there was High (9000K), Medium (6500K), Low (5000K) and user. On the 20H there's High (9000K), Medium (8000K), Low (6500K) and user. Does this mean that I have to set it to Low instead of Medium?

If I want to use the 65K as I starting point in the user option, which combination of Red, Green and Blue should I insert?

Is this procedure correct (first setup color temp and then brightness, contrast color and sharpness)?

Best regards,

NS

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NS

Congrats on getting your Domino 20H :clap:

I prefer to use medium colour temp but use whatever looks best too you.

With the user colour temp settings you need a test disc such as Avia to see what you are doing.

If you use the Avia vertical 10 IRE grey scale you can see your adjustments. Try to get the grey scale to look grey at all IRE levels.

There are no settings that will suit all Dominos as they are all individually calibrated at the factory and don't forget your source will have an effect on the settings you use.

That's the beauty of using Avia, you are calibrating your projector using the same source as you will be using to play your DVDs.

The needle pulses on Avia are quick and simple to use for getting black level and white level spot on. I normally check these after setting the gamma and colour temp.

Good luck.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you for your help. I have the PAL DVE disc and usually start by displaying the PLUGE test to setup brightness. Then I go to the grey ramp to set the contrast (I increase the contrast of the PJ until the last whites "glue in" and then decrease a little up to where I can clearly distinct between the two.). Is this OK? For color I use the color filter.

When I had the Domino 20 on demo I set it up with medium color temp because it indicated as D65, which is usually recommended, but, on the 20H, the medium option corresponds to 80.000K, and not 65.000K. :confused: . Why did Sim change this? What's the use of having a 90K and 80K setting?

I'll check the 10IRE grey scale you mention. How do you check your pic settings with the needle pulse test?

Cheers,

NS

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NS

Some people prefer a cooler picture hence the higher colour temp options.
    I can't tell you why Sim2 changed the colour temp settings.
    On the needle pulse test you should just see the second of 2 bars in the black for brightness and the same in the white for contrast.

Regards

Jeff

5. crion

crion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm gessing here but I think the new values better reflect what is coming from the factory.

When the lamp is new it's 100% of it's brightness value. When it is 6000/8000hours it is 50% of it's rated brightness value. This greatly affect the color temperature.

When Widescreen Review tested the HT300+ Low was approx 6500K, Medium 7750K.

In this case I would set the colortemp to low. Or maybe user to avoid getting tinted greys..

6. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you for your help.

When creating a 'user' color temperature, how do I set the values for R G and B that correspond to 6500K?

NS

7. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NS,

You really need a colour temperature meter to set the user settings to 6500K.
    Or better still Colorfacts

Jeff