1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 Domino 20 - will it do the job ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gaucho, May 24, 2005.

1. Gaucho

Gaucho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother is looking to put a projector into a new extension. The main problem is that the throw from unit to screen is liable to be around 8.5 metres. In addition, the projector will be offset from the screen by around 20 deg.

Don't know much about projectors. A local dealer has recommended the Sim2 Domino 20 (note sure if its 'H' version or not).

I guess my questions are: -

1) Will it work over that distance and what size/quality picture are we likely to get.

2) Does this device have both types of keystone correction

3) Would we need an additional long throw lens

Hope someone can help

2. woodmaster

woodmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would say you would get a pritty sizeable image at that distance mine gave a 7ft image over four mtrs,Oh and my 20H is up for sale with less than 300hrs on it in white if you so decide its what you want :smashin:

3. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Sim Domino20 only has vertical keystone adjustment so would not be suitable for a 20 degree offset from central. At 8.5 metres you would get a picture a minimum of 9 feet across. I would say that this is about the limit for this projector. We have one in the larger of our dem rooms (throw distance approx 7.5 metres) onto an 8foot wide screen. The picture is excellent but does need a very good blackout.
    have a look at http://www.projectorcentral.com/SIM2_Multimedia-DOMINO_20H-projection-calculator-pro.htm

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Gaucho,

Warpaint is spot on re. screen size of 9ft from 8.5m. You would want to sit 16 to 18 feet away from that size image.
    All the single chip Sim2 projectors have zoom lenses that are not removeable so you could not use a longer throw lens.

The Domino 20 does have both Vertical and Horizontal Keystone correction so you could use it off centre but I don't recommend this as it does affect picture quality.

Jeff

5. Gaucho

Gaucho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments guys. It seems that the niche where he would like to place the projector is impractical. Suspected as much, but again, the experts come to the rescue.!!

I will pass the details on and suggest he would be better looking for an alternative (central/ceiling) location for the projector.

6. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

My apologies. So it does. I normally never use horizontal keystone if at all possible. :oops: