1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 Domino 20 or Infocus 5700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sixspeed, Oct 7, 2003.

1. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi,

I have a demo of the Domino 20 this Friday, but the Infocus is slightly cheaper. I don't think anyone locally (Surrey) has a 5700 on demo, so I can't compare myself, so I thought I'd ask here. I've noticed a few people comparing these two in the same sentence but not managed to get an idea if the saving of the Infocus is worth it? Are both projectors virtually identical in performance? Or is the extra money on the Sim2 for a reason?

Hope you guys can help! :D

Might be projector'd up by the weekend if so...!

-andy-

2. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Also, if anyone knows where I can view an Infocus 5700 in Surrey, or South London, that would help me decide for myself! :)

-andy-

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Sim2 has very good image processing and optics, so you know you'll get a good product if you got the Domino 20. The one I saw looked pretty good anyway. :)

I haven't seen the Infocus, but when I went for a demo of an HT1000 at www.projectorsareus.co.uk the Sim2 HT200DMF gave the best overall image. The 20 should be somewhat better I would think. I also saw the Infocus X1 and Sharp E90 (IIRC) while I was there.

Whether the difference in image quality (if there is one) is worth the extra coat of the Sim2, only you can decide.

Have you been over to avsforum? There might be more opinions over there that could be useful to you.

Gary.

4. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Last week Jeff at projectorsareus had both the Domino 20 and also a 5700, so perhaps you could try him. You can find him onthe link above or call Horshan HiFi. I'm sure he be happy to set up a demo.

5. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I compared the two head to head. The Sim has slightly deeper blacks, although this doesn't seem to translate into more detail in dark scenes.
    The 5700 is a BRIGHT projector, and IMO has far more vibrant colours.
    I would suggest that if you have a proper light controlled room, then it may be difficult to choose particularly as the Sim has focus control on the remote.
    For me, with a wall of windows, the extra brightness of the 5700, plus the saving of £750 was enough to swing it.
    However, I honestly believe that I would be very happy with either.
    I also like the extra connectivity of the 5700.
    Sevenoaks in Cambridge had both on demo, but I've taken the 5700 off their hands.
    Hope all goes well with your choice.

6. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It's with Jeff that I have the Domino 20 demo this Friday. I didn't see InFocus listed on his website, so I didn't think to ask him. I'll see if he still has one I can see.

The projector is going in my living room, not a purpose built cinema room, so there will be some light, even with the curtains drawn. The price difference is a real plus-point as well, since I was originally looking at the £3k mark, but decided I'd stretch the extra for the Domino20 if it was worth it... if I can get a comparible projector back within my budget, then all is good... :)

-andy-

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Let us know how you get on at Jeffs. I found him very helpful when I've been down there. Would like to see what you think of the projectors after seeing them both, and if you come to similar conclusions to Peter.

Gary.

8. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just spoken with him and he still has the 5700, so I'll be able to get my comparison..

Will let you know how I get on! :)

-andy-

9. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'll be very interested to see what you think. As I said earlier, it was the extra punch of colour vibrancy that swayed me. Even playing with the settings on the Sim didn't quite get the same WOW factor.
    That said, on dimly lit scenes, I think the 5700 showed a little more grain.
    No sign of rainbows on either.
    Moving from my panny 100 to the 5700 has proved revelatory.
    No screendoor
    Filmic images
    3-D impact
    No contest!!
    Even my wife thought the difference to be of Night and Day variety (no mean feat)

Peter

10. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I notice a few people have said the 5700 is too bright. Could this be down to the screen having too high a gain factor?

Peter, your comments are very encouraging. I think I might have to take my chequebook with me on Friday! :p

-andy-

11. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The themescene H56 is definatley worth an audition too....

12. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I did have that on my list, just because Jeff had an ex-demo model for a very nice price.. but he wasn't happy about me auditioning so many projectors... :-/

Maybe I'll push him to let me have a quick look on the day.... I've heard so many good things about all 3 that I'd be happy to walk away with any, especially if it's going to save me some money!

-andy-

13. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great stuff, let us know how you get on as I was about to place an order for the H56 but might hang on a few weeks now ;)

14. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Will do.. itching to see these now. I don't think I'm going to be able to stop myself walking away with one on the day. lol!

-andy-

15. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I got very close to taking the H56, and even took one home for a home demo. However, it didn't seem to really blow away the panasonic PT 100.
    I mentioned in an earlier post that it was difficult to get my wife to 'buy in' to the upgrade.
    On the H56 her reaction was 'so what'
    On the 5700 it was ' this is a significant move forward in quality'
    I had to agree in each case.
    Nevertheless, I will be interested to see what you think.
    By the way, I understand that Jeff thinks the Sim is in a different league to the 5700. See what you think.
    Good Luck!
    Peter

16. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah, I got that impression on the phone from him too. A different league is of course a subjective thing. What I'll be trying to find out, is whether it's £750 better.... or if that money is better spent on my DVD player upgrade...

-andy-