1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 Domino 20 Demo

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nuno Santos, May 11, 2004.

1. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi!,

I'm considering purchasing this projector but am a bit reluctant due to the rainbow effect. I saw it ocaasionally (mainly on older projectors), but I always felt I was looking for it...

I'm taking a home demo with a Domino 20 and was wondering if you can recommend a few movies to see where the rainbow effect should be more of a problem. I was thinking that if I could see those movies without too much distraction, I'd be OK.

I know that the Domino 20 has the Matterhorn chip. Are these the new 12 degree DLP's which have better contrast?

Thanks

NS

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NS,

A great scene for rainbows is the begining of Missing where Kate Blanchett is in the outhouse and there are vertical gaps in the wood constuction. Dark inside, very bright outside. Very strong rainbows.
    Any film with dark scenes containing car headlights, torches flames etc wii show them up.
    The Domino handles rainbows pretty well. Some overly bright projectors will exacerbate the effect.

The Matterhorn chip definitely has 12 degree mirrors.

Jeff

3. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    RTFM,

Thanks.

A few years ago I noticed that the rainbow effect was more prone on PAL discs due to the 50Hz rate. In some movies (watching with a 3 segment colour wheel proj), on NTSC material it wasn't too bad, but with PAL discs it was a different matter.
    Does this situation still maintains?

NS

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    With the six segment five speed colour wheel I don't think you will find rainbows an issue even with PAL material.