1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 Domino 20 buying decision - Should I?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fryguy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. fryguy

fryguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I went to my local home theater dealer and let him know I'm in the market for a new projector-based system, and that my budget is $10,000 (speakers, receiver, projector, screen, cables, the whole 9 yards). My rough idea about how my budget would break down was as follows:

$1000 receiver
    $4000 speakers
    $1000 screen
    $3500 projector
    $500 cables, whatnot

I told him as far as projectors go, I had researched the Sony VPL-HS51, Panasonic PT-AE700U, Sanyo PLV-Z3, and BenQ PE7700...all 1280x720 resolution native projectors.

He basically indicated I was shooting too low in terms of the family of projectors I was looking at, and said I should think about sacrificing some of my speaker budget and put that towards the Sim2 Domino 20. He said he would recommend a good non-HD resolution projector over a "lower quality" HD projector such as the ones I had told him I researched.

So here's my question for you Sim2 fans out there: I know there are plenty of other factors besides native resolution that contribute to image quality, but at a time such as now when HD is really starting to heat up, why would I want to buy a non-HD resolution projector? Would I really get a "better" (relative, I know) picture when viewing HD television content on a Sim2 domino than with a higher resolution projector? I realize it would scale the 720p HD signal down to its native resolution, but would it really look better at 576 lines than at 720 lines? Enough to spend twice as much on it?

Seems a bit like buying a 4-cylinder Ferrari vs. a more practical V8 Mustang? (Don't bother correcting me, I'm not a car guy, so I'm sure I'm WAY off here, but just trying to draw some sort of cost-justification parallel.)

Basically I'm asking you Sim2-bies to sell me on this wacky hair-brained scheme.

Thanks for your input.

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    FryGuy,

Buy the best projector you can afford. I don't know how much the Domino 30H sells for in the US but that would be a good choice.

If that blows your budget, you will still get very good results with a Domino 20H with both DVD and High Def material.

The Sim2 scalers do a fine job of downscaling HD material.

Jeff

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Or go for an Optoma H79 with the DC3 chip which leaves the 20H, 30H for dead. Superb projector with an excellent image, very quite as well.

You might also want to research your throw ratios, as the PJs you mention all have various throw distances and this could well effect your purchase decision
    I would not go lower than 1280X720 now that the world of hidef will soon be upon us.