1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 Domino 18

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LTJ, Dec 28, 2004.

1. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess this is for AD Roser but any response would be good.

Right Now that the Sim domino 18 is in a price range I'm interested in, I'm finding it hard to obtain specs. I see that one of the magazines has just reviewed it. Can't remember which one?
    What I'd like to ask is
    Presently I'm using a panny100 set to native resolution via a PC Athlon 3000xp Sapphire ati 9600xt graphics card, sweet spot capture card via Dscaler. Would this lot be better than the on Board scaler?
    The 18 is a HDMI input, my graphics card is DVI out put : are these compatable? I see the two formats can be adapted is that so?
    Powerstrp settings: are they available?
    Finally is it so that all Sim2 light-engines are sealed units thus keeping dust and grime ingress to a minimum. Do Sim recommend professional cleaning if so at how many hours use?

Thank you in advance.

L Jenkins

2. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    LTJ,

The Domino 18 sold in this country does not have a HDMI input you would have buy a Domino 20H.

Foghorn

3. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks foghorn. I've just been out for a long walk searching for a newsagent that would have the magazine that I've forgotten the name off with the review of the domino 18...no luck.
    Shame about the lack of HDMI/DVI
    I've waited nearly two years for the SIM features sealed optics, 6000hr lamp life and digital input to featured in a sensibly priced model. Nearly there but not quite.

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    LTJ

The Domino 18 has a sealed light engine like the more expensive models so there are no worries about the ingress of dust. There are no filters to clean so there is no maintenance needed and with 6000 hour lamp life it will be a long time before you have to worry about a replacement lamp.

Jeff :rtfm:

5. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    LTJ,

Home Cinema Choice this month has a feature on the Sim2 Domino 18 however it is not an in depth test or review.

Essential Hi-Fi & Home Cinema issue 40(Jan 05) carried out a review of 10 projectors, which included the Domino 18.

Rating as per magazine: -

What’s good - Image quality, Remote control design, Premium quality light engine.

What’s bad - Intrusive fan noise, Requires very low ambient light, Feature light.

Verdict: -

Ease of use *****
    Looks ****
    Features ***
    Picture quality *****
    Value ****
    Overall ****

You may have read in advertisements that the 18 is the same as the 20H minus the HDMI input this is not true. To achieve the lower price point they have also made some other minor changes to the internals of the machine to keep the price down.

If HDMI or DVI is required then almost all the other Matterhorn projectors have this facility.

If throw distance and sealed optics are important to you then the ProjectionDesign Action Model Zero Five II may suit your needs, this projector originally retailed for about £4000, recently the price has dropped to the same price as the Domino 18.

ProjectionDesign Action Model Zero Five II was also upgraded in the last year. The colour wheel was changed from a six segment to seven; the electronics and optics were improved increasing the contrast ratio from 2200:1 to 3000:1.

What’s also quit impressive about this projector is that the projector shares the same body and almost all the components of the big bother the Model One the only real difference being the higher resolution chip (HD2+ Mustang) which results in a shorter throw distance, also the projector is brighter.

I must point out that I have not seen the ProjectionDesign Action Model Zero Five II however the spec has caught my eye. What I have read and heard of people who know this product all speak highly of it.

Hope this helps.

Foghorn

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Foghorn

I'm not disputing your research but the Domino 18 was released quite late this year so I'm confused how it was reveiwed in a Jan 04 magazine :confused:

I recently had a visit from the RGB rep who told me the Projection Design Action Point Five is now discontinued. That would explain the price drop.

7. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Jeff

Sorry your right it is Issue 40 Jan 2005 correction made (seem to have bought this magazine ages ago).

Interesting fact about the ProjectionDesign, do you know what the company plan to do next.

Foghorn

8. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Foghorn

All the rep knew was that Projection Design were going to concentrate on the higher res model.
    Maybe the 0.5 was not competitively priced.

9. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fohhorn yes your'e correct I went out to find that review, in fact it was a kind of preview. Thaks for the replies. I'm still not too sure about using my pc as a scaling device and whether it would be better then the onboard scaler?

Thanks