1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 a No Brainer?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BigTone, Feb 11, 2003.

1. BigTone

BigTone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +971
    As I plan to finally finish my oddesy in Home Cinema (the final piece is the projector) is the Sim2 still the no brainer or should I be considering anything else? My inital worry is that the Sim2 is quite dim and doesn't give a good picture with a playstation, and as the TV goes when the projector moves in, that might be a problem.

Many thanks

Tone

2. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Which Sim2 are you thinking of going for?

The HT300+ is a 'no-brainer' if you have a very fat wallet and don't mind the noisy fans. If not then you should definitely consider also projectors from Marantz, Sharp and the Toshiba MT8/Infocus 7200 which has the same widescreen panel and scaling as the Sim2 with greater brightness and for far less ££££s.

If you are shopping in the 200DMF end of the Sim2 market then I would definitely recommend you check out the NEC HT1000 and some of the newer LCD projectors (Sony HS10, Sanyo Z1 etc) as they have come on in leaps and bounds to give the Sim2s more of a run for their money.

So..not as easy a decision as it might have been..you definitely need to get out there and see some projectors.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

3. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Tone,

Your more than welcome to pop down for a demo on the 300+ or the DMF and I will prove to you that your playstation will look great and and the projector has more than enough power.

Regards

Alan Roser
    Technical Director
    Owl Video Systems Ltd

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I've seen the HT1000 alongside the Sim2 HT200DMF, and the sim was fractionaly better. Quite a testament to the machine considering it's only 848 x 480 (or 800 x 600). They're a bit noisy too apparently (this one was firing through a wall from an adjacent room, so I couldn't hear it).

However, considering the price difference, I went for the HT1000 because I coundn't justify the extra expense for a such a small improvement, and the noise level would have been distracting.

HTH

Gary.

5. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the SONY VPL-12HT...................... some nice discounts already

6. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tone -

Take Alan up on his offer if its the HT300+ you are looking at. I was dissapointed after an extremely poor demo locally , but Alan "showed me the light" (tee hee!) .

You may think it "dim" if compared side by side with a brighter PJ - but to me they got the output just right ( and that is on an 8ft screen).