Sim2 300xtra and psm192

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jeff sluijter, Aug 6, 2005.

1. jeff sluijter

jeff sluijter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am since short the happy owner of a 300xtra and tag 32flr with psm192 on board. I am relatively new to the a/v scene and simply "thrilled".

Cannot experiment too much with cables and so on, so was wondering about your experiences. What gives the "best" picture:

- the scaler of the Sim or the PSM192? What kind of Faroudja is in the Sim btw?

- if PSM: component cable (via BNC) or the dvi connections?

I was trying to play a cd on the tag, but no sound. I know that the player doesn't have a dac, but thought this was in my receiver (Sony 940). How comes? If not, wortwhile to go for a av32?

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    it is a case of trial and error. but for my part i avoid the processing of the projector as i have found for most progressive souces(dvd) i tend to get a better picture from there processing as long as it is half decent.

The Sim2 has the fl2310 chip

Here is an example with the 300xtra-HDMI using the panasonic S97 set at 720p (so doing all the processing with its onboard faroudja fl2310 chip).
    even a cheap dvd player can create a very very good piture

Attached Files:

3. jeff sluijter

jeff sluijter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I have been experimenting a little bit, but much to my suprise the picture appears better when I use the projectors board than the PSM192. With the PSM, I have - if you watch carefully - vertical lines in large even coloured parts, such as a wall.

I know that it would normally be different. Any idea how this can be?

I have connected it to the SIM via component BNC. Videos used were American NTSC ones.

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Could just be old processing in the psm 192, giving what sounds like banding.

If the projectors chipset is giving a better pic then go with that, better can be had but as usual at a price. but keep tinkering and remember to calibrate your brightness and contrast just right as this can make a real leap in picture performance when done right.