Sim Racing Hardware - News & Discussion

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we have a number of members here who are keen sim racers so I figured we could do with a thread to discuss racing wheels and associated hardware such as pedals, shifters, wheel stands, play seats etc...

So, to kick off, anyone interested in the long-awaited Fanatec Clubsport Shifter?

New Fanatec ClubSport Shifter Previews — VirtualR – Sim Racing News

Fanatec ClubSport Shifter – Close Up Preview — VirtualR – Sim Racing News

Fanatec ClubSport Shifter – Knob Options Preview — VirtualR – Sim Racing News

In typical Fanatec style there is no indication of a price or release date, but if they are true to form the CSS won't be cheap.

I installed a Bashermod to my T500 pedals today.

I left a review at GTPlanet, but here it is:

Impressions and Feel

This is an excellent cost effective mod, and I would highly recommend it to anyone to try out. The feel when pressing on the pedal simulates a progressive break pedal very well, i.e you need to gradually press harder on the pedal to increase break pressure/resistance.

Delivery Time and Cost

Ordered on March 30th and arrived today. That's less than a Week! :tup:
Cost was £14.27 delivered from the States which is excellent value for money as you get a choice of bushings to use. I find the 60 durometer (Orange Bush) perfect, so I'm not going to bother with the other one.

Quality

Bushings - Excellent. But I will see how these stand the test of time.
Foam - No need to use but it's there should I never need to use a single bush.

Retention Plate - As you know I had issues with this being Acrylic. But after thinking about it and the price I paid I was being foolish. I have been assured that the plate will not break and after using the pedals for a good couple of hours I am now reassured. In fact if you go John Rambo whilst screwing it down it may crack, but the screws do progressively get tighter so the chance of this happening is very slim!

Additionally I think that if the plate was made from steel that the bushings may chamfer over time, with Acrylic there is less chance of this happening. Being OCD I will carbon Vinyl wrap it though, just to give it that extra touch! Which will cost no more than a quid.

Pictures

DSCN2431.JPG

DSCN2433.JPG

DSCN2434.JPG

DSCN2435.JPG

Thanks Mr Basher. As I said via PM's there is no need to send out a metal plate, the one in the kit works fine and does it's job well and better imo.

The retention plate isn't exactly straight as you can see on the bottom pic (it curls up towards the screw mount hole) and it can be rounded of at the top to follow the contours of the reaslistic break mod bracket. The middle of the bracket imo could be routered so it doesn't have any sharp edges but for the price it's a great mod and nothing which a file and wet and dry paper can't fix.

Last edited:
Looks good mate. Quite fancy a proper load cell brake myself, but the Fanatec Clubsports are pricey.

I'm thinking of picking up one of the Basherboard adapters so that I can use any USB shifter with my CSR. The Thrustmaster TH8RS is a nice price and with the adapter is probably still cheaper than whatever price the Clubsport shifter turns out to be.

I keep thinking about purchasing some sim racing gear but think i'll wait until the new consoles come out as I would want to make sure they are compatible before shelling out loads of money.

Was looking at the fanatec clubsport pedals but not sure which wheel. (definitely don't want to spend silly money like the top of the range fanatec is). Also like the look of the obutto r3volution

Looks good mate. Quite fancy a proper load cell brake myself, but the Fanatec Clubsports are pricey.

I'm thinking of picking up one of the Basherboard adapters so that I can use any USB shifter with my CSR. The Thrustmaster TH8RS is a nice price and with the adapter is probably still cheaper than whatever price the Clubsport shifter turns out to be.

TH8RS is fantastic. Only let down for me is that I have to change the faceplate every time I want to change from sequential to H-Shifter. I wish they made it easier than unscrewing 4 Allen bolts.

@ sequential - I wouldn't worry too much about future compatibility, Microsoft and Sony don't manufacture their own wheels and I doubt they will next gen. They would be foolish to freeze out the existing players in the wheel market so I expect nothing will change.

xSequentialx said:
I keep thinking about purchasing some sim racing gear but think i'll wait until the new consoles come out as I would want to make sure they are compatible before shelling out loads of money.

Was looking at the fanatec clubsport pedals but not sure which wheel. (definitely don't want to spend silly money like the top of the range fanatec is). Also like the look of the obutto r3volution

I'm certain that the current range of racing hardware will be compatible with the next generation of consoles.

TH8RS is fantastic. Only let down for me is that I have to change the faceplate every time I want to change from sequential to H-Shifter. I wish they made it easier than unscrewing 4 Allen bolts.

Actually that's a positive compared to the Fanatec shifter set, which has two separate units, one H-gate and one sequential. To switch them over is a 15 minute job as I need to go to my garage, get the socket set out and un-bolt the thing from my Wheelstand Pro. Changing a faceplate is nothing compared to that.

Besides, I would use it almost exclusively in sequential mode anyway.

Actually that's a positive compared to the Fanatec shifter set, which has two separate units, one H-gate and one sequential. To switch them over is a 15 minute job as I need to go to my garage, get the socket set out and un-bolt the thing from my Wheelstand Pro. Changing a faceplate is nothing compared to that.

I just have them both mounted simultaneously mate, the H-gate on the WSP bracket and the sequential on the rods which came with the shifter set.

I just have them both mounted simultaneously mate, the H-gate on the WSP bracket and the sequential on the rods which came with the shifter set.

That's how I had it set up originally but I decided to remove the H-gate due to lack of use! I find the sequential more useful for the cars I like to drive.

Not sure if the CSS interests me or not but I am a sucker for new shiny stuff :)

I use TH8RS and a DSD sequential shifter together with a Basherboard SFA1 connected to my CSW.

For me the TH8 was such a pain to switch to seq, the screws to remove the face plate are fiddly at best. On top of that, using the SFA1 means the TH8 becomes part of my CSW so in older games (rFactor/Race07 range etc) my wheel and shifter are seen as one USB controller which as we know is great as most are limited to 3 devices.

It takes around 15 mins to remove the faceplate, the screws are PITA as they are fiddly and using a manual 2.5mm Allen wrench takes forever. If it had a push down locking switch that locked into place it would be so much better, but don't let that detract you from buying one, the shifter is great, but I'll never use 7th gear. :laugh:

@ Steve - The SFA1 seems like a lot of money for what it is (about £60 imported?), is it worth it?

Do you rate the TH8RS? Any problems allocating controls in games with the CSR?

Bear in mind if I buy one it will live in sequential mode for the vast majority time.

@ Steve - The SFA1 seems like a lot of money for what it is (about £60 imported?), is it worth it?

Do you rate the TH8RS? Any problems allocating controls in games with the CSR?

Bear in mind if I buy one it will live in sequential mode for the vast majority time.

I used to use a different adapter for my CSR to Xbox 360 and it worked a treat but the SFA1 does the same thing :)
It's worth it if you need struggle with number of controllers in older games. I have 2 shifters, wheel and pedals so I wouldn't be able to use them in GSC or Race 07 etc withoout the adapter.

I love the TH8, I just picked up a second one as I'm back on my 'clutch' project and didn't want to keep messing with mine. I dont use seq on my TH8, personally I didn't like it, very clicky but that's compared to the DSD seq shifter which is brutal.

The Fanatec sequential shifter sounds like a typewriter so I doubt the TH8RS is any worse.

I'm just after something with more of a quality feel. The Fanatec shifter set does the job but it's 'ok' and nothing more. Still a bit annoyed that it's sold only as a set forcing you to buy both shifters even if you don't want a sequential or vice versa.

Then again I quite fancy some Clubsport pedals so I'm not sure where my next upgrade will be.

I could send you my DSD seq shifter for a play mate (for PC only) ;) I dont use it much, I always use TH8.
Only got the DSD for GSC 2012 really and wont be on that for a while with all the new stuff out.

Nice offer mate, but the one I've got does the job for the time being. I tend to use the paddles a fair bit, particularly with F1s and open-wheel cars, and also with the T5 mod (as DTM cars use paddles from last year). The paddles on the CSR are really nice.

I keep thinking about going back to Sim Racing after selling my stuff. I miss my 3 screens and wheel, also miss the cockpit I had.

Will have to look back into it with all the sims coming up.

I had many a fun hour running Clios in rFactor 2.

I keep thinking about going back to Sim Racing ..

Same here, I've been meaning to dust off my Gamepod, Clubsport wheel and pedals for a while, but with house moves etc., just not gotten around to it. Doubt I'll bother with the new Fanatec shifter tbh, I was more than happy with the paddle shifters on the Clubsport wheel after I picked up the replacement carbon fibre paddles they released, however, never say never :)

With regards to the Clubsport pedals, they are stunning, although I found them a little tempremental on occasion. Sometimes they'd act as if the brake was still slightly depressed and they really are a sensitive bit of kit. Still though, when set up correctly the feel under foot is stunning and far better than the Logitech pedals I have.

Same here, I've been meaning to dust off my Gamepod, Clubsport wheel and pedals for a while, but with house moves etc., just not gotten around to it. Doubt I'll bother with the new Fanatec shifter tbh, I was more than happy with the paddle shifters on the Clubsport wheel after I picked up the replacement carbon fibre paddles they released, however, never say never :)

With regards to the Clubsport pedals, they are stunning, although I found them a little tempremental on occasion. Sometimes they'd act as if the brake was still slightly depressed and they really are a sensitive bit of kit. Still though, when set up correctly the feel under foot is stunning and far better than the Logitech pedals I have.

I need to quit work and any social activities, simply too much gaming to be done and yet I still keep thinking about buying more.

I had a couple of problems with my Clubsport pedals, but credit to Fanatec they resolved them relatively quickly for me.

First of all the load cell for the brake failed, which resulted in the brake pedal fluctuating wildly when depressed. Fanatec sent me out a replacement load cell, and two more spare along with instructions to fit.

Then, not too long after I had a problem with the accelerator. When depressed, it would not register fully on the fanatec utility, or in game.

The fault was the sensor on the right of the pedal, and again they sent me out replacements and instructions to fit.

Thankfully, the pedals and my GT2 are working perfectly now (I had to return my GT2 back to Germany too a while back!).

Sorry to hear you had so many problems, as my fear that if the problems reoccur that they may need to be returned to Germany also. I think in the next few weeks I'll clear a space and get them hooked up as I doubt a year or so being stuck in a box has done much good. Which wheel do you have btw? I have the original Clubsport Pro wheel, and I'm kind of hoping that there haven't been many more firmware releases for that as I recall that being a right pita to update.

Edit: Scrub that, noticed the GT2 :)

Just noticed on their website too that they are releasing the v2 model of the pedals.

Last edited:
Might look at the Clubsport V2s, due for release later this month. Not sure what the major differences are, perhaps they've ironed out some of the issues that Seb has experienced.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom