Sim Racing Graphics Settings For 90fps

Furnace Inferno

90fps Guide

Since I spent a lot of time going through the sims I own with the Oculus Performance Monitor testing different graphics settings, I thought I would put together my settings and hopefully save others some time.

So a few general things, 3D grass kills performance in all of them, this would be the first thing to turn off if you are struggling for performance. Another big performance hit is anything to do with lighting with each game handling it slightly differently, reflections will also need to be right down.

Finally get your expectations in check about what your card is capable of in VR as it's a whole different ball game to flatscreens, performance wise games ported over are the equivalent of trying to run the standard game at a fairly solid 4k/60fps with downsampling which not even a 1080Ti can do on max settings in most modern games.

My Hardware: i7 3930k 4.2GHz, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, GTX 980Ti 1280Mhz GPU/7400Mhz Memory.

All my testing was done as stress tests to hold 90fps in normal gameplay and only drop under real stress (starting in last with max grids [and rain in the case of project cars] is rare and not part of their normal content), if you are only doing solo races then higher settings can be used.

In SteamVR settings, accessed by opening steamvr and then on your desktop clicking on the pop-up, go to developer options and change supersampling to 1.5. I haven't checked to see if this actually works on games which use Oculus Rift SDK yet or if it's exclusive to OpenVR which in the case of these games only on Vive. I'll update once I've checked but anybody with a Vive getting much lower performance this could be why, then just set it back to 1.0 (Doesn't work when using OculusSDK). Additional testing, turn off interleaved reprojection in performance settings, it was used before SteamVR had ASW built in and simply locked the FPS to 45fps, turning it off seems to drastically reduce stutter in Assetto Corsa when it can't hit 90fps and brings it in line with PCars.

Assetto Corsa (24 cars, Spa)
First thing you will want to do before launching is go and find: Documents/assettocorsa/cfg/ and open the oculus.ini, there change Pixel_Per_Display form 1 to 1.5 which really helps with distant object clarity. Secondly with post-processing effects off the benchmark crashes so don't waste your time with it if you are fine tuning.

Another useful tip, you can open the steamvr overlay menu and select the desktop to see the Assetto Corsa menu rather than having the take off the headset to start a race. Make sure you close it as you launch the game though, as on my Rift at least, I can't open the steam menu in game and it ends up staying open in the background which is super annoying because it thinks my throttle peddle is selecting things.

Display
Anisotropic Filtering - 4x (Unusually high performance drop but the difference between 4x and higher is only visible when not moving, moderate performance cost)

Anti-Aliasing - 2x (Even with 1.5x supersampling it still needs AA, similar performance cost to AF)

World Detail - Medium (This is basically the 3D grass setting, higher and 3D grass is used and kills performance)

Shadow Resolution - Medium (Any lower has very noticeable shimmering and blockiness, moderate to high performance cost)

Effects
Smoke Generation - Low (Very high performance cost on start grid with multiple cars on higher settings)

Smoke in mirrors - On (Minor Performance cost)

Post-processing Effects - Off (Probably the single biggest FPS killer other than maxed reflections, even with only glare effects 90fps is not happening unless you drop AA and supersampling which personally although a nice effect with the added blur and aliasing it isn't worth it.)

Reflections
Mirror Resolution - Normal (Minor Performance Cost)
High Quality Mirror - Off (Minor Performance Cost)
Reflection Quality - Low (High Performance Cost)
Reflection Update Frequency - Static (Major Performance Cost)

Dirt Rally (Haven't tried Rallycross where reflection/car quality may need reduction)
This one is actually surprisingly difficult to get decent performance considering there is only one car on track except in Rallycross, there are basically only two settings which have any serious impact on performance and you can pretty much max the rest.

Video Mode
2xMSAA (Minor Performance Cost)

Quality Settings
Night Lighting - Ultra
Shadows - High
Advanced Fog - On
Particles - High
Weather- High
Crowd - High
Cloth - High
Ambient Occlusion - Ultra Low (Doesn't seem to work in VR)
Advanced Ambient Occlusion - Off
Mirrors - Medium

Ground Cover - Off (This is your 3D grass setting your choice is either no grass/small brush or absolutely no lighting: see Shader Details)

Vehicle Details - High
Track - Ultra
Trees - Ultra
Objects - Ultra
Vehicle Reflections - High
Water - High
Skidmarks - On
Texture Detail - High

Shader Details - Low (Second big one, turn this off completely and say goodbye to decent quality lighting, turn this off as a last resort)

Anisotropic Filtering - Ultra
Smoke Shadows - Off

Advanced Blending - Off (Pretty sure this is an intel integrated graphics specific option that runs like crap on anything else vr or not)

Project Cars (32 cars, Spa, Dry & Thunderstorm)
This one has quite a bit of aliasing and shimmering and isn't quite as clean as the other track racers but the weather and post-processing effects really make it a sight to behold in motion. Very demanding to pump up the graphics settings which is a shame as I bet full rain reflections would look incredible, however performance is surprisingly good even with rain in career races with less cars especially.

EDIT: Different settings, another option is to remove in-game aliasing and add pixel density at 1.5 which has a performance cost close to DS2X in the dry (higher in the wet though!), similar AA coverage but greatly improved image clarity. Go to Documents, Project Cars, oculussettings.xml and the change <prop name="ResScale" data="1.0" /> from 1.0 to 1.5.

Visual FX
Sun Flare Interior - Minimal (Gets rid of the annoying camera lens effects but still allows god rays and blinding glare when combined with other effects which I personally find realistic YMMV)

All other effects on

Performance
Anisotropic Filtering - 8x (I wouldn't recommend any lower otherwise you can see the wall of blur just ahead, minor performance impact)

Anti-aliasing - DS2X (Major performance cost)
Reflections - Medium (Moderate performance cost)
Environmental Map - Low (Moderate performance cost)

Car Detail - Low (Unfortunately with this one on low it makes the brake lights of cars in front only appear when fairly close, however upping it one notch kills the framerate with multiple cars, major performance cost)

Track Detail - Low
Shadow Detail - Off
Enhanced Mirror - No
Detailed Grass - Off (3D grass, major performance cost)
Render Frames Ahead - 1
Particle Level - Medium (Nice for things to get kicked up off the track (performance minor to moderate)
Particle Density - Medium (Moderate cost with multiple cars and weather)

In one of the menus I think VR options there is a Hide Crowd option which defaults to yes, it has a small performance cost but I like to set it to no to have crowds for extra atmosphere rather than feeling like a track day.

Troubleshooting: Black screen in Oculus but can hear the game in background and see on monitor - set fullscreen mirror option in vr options menu to no and restart.

Raceroom Racing Experience (36 cars, Bathurst)
This one is hilariously CPU bound, the GPU was showing less than 1ms response at times with the CPU being the only culprit for framedrops. With this one I actually didn't target 90fps around a full lap which I'll explain below but basically the difference in FPS between a full grid and none was fairly minor as long as you don't overload the CPU.

So to get this one started just got to the games properties, launch options and add "-vr" without the quotes, at default it has 1.5x supersampling if you want more or less at 1.0 or 2.0 etc. after vr. On another note if you use globally force v-sync or for any reason force v-sync via control panel, turn it off otherwise it will lock the game to 45fps.

Custom Settings
Toggle Mirror - On

Track Level Of Detail - High (Ok this is the big one which seems to peg the CPU in different locations around the track, I can't tell if it's the crowds or what, unfortunately unlike the other sims it groups everything together which has the unwanted effect of removing lots of environmental effects like trees and buildings which annoyingly still cast shadows. I therefore chose to forego a completely solid 90fps as there were only 3 corners on this track where it dropped because I found the aforementioned issue more jarring again YMMV, Moderate to Major Performance Impact)

Car LOD Distance - Medium
Particle Detail - Medium
Tyre Marks - On
Specular - On
Car Reflection Quality - Low
Track Animations - On (Still seemed to animate even when off)
Shadows - Low (Don't go any lower otherwise shadows don't look anything like backgrounds.
Car Shadows - Low
Contact Shadows - 12
Shadow Split - On
Anti-aliasing - 4x MSAA
FXAA - Off
Bloom - Off (Some of these are forced off or turn back off if you try to turn them on)
DOF -Off
Motion Blur - Off
Lightshafts - Off
Lens Effects - On
Track Texture Quality - High
Car Texture Detail - High
Rear View Mirror Quality - Medium
Shader Quality - Medium
Visible Cars - 36
Opponent Cockpits - Off

Troubleshooting: Black screen potentially in both oculus and monitor but menu/music working. You will need to assign a button to reset view to get the menu to pop-up in view and may also find it useful to assign a button on your keyboard to toggle monitor view to be able to see the menu and game on your monitor.

Ok that is my baseline guide for getting 90fps on the sims I own, hopefully it is useful to someone.

Additional info for your own testing, you can use an in-game HUD built into Oculus to see where you are losing performance, this can be found in:

Program Files/Oculus/Support/oculus-diagnostics/OculusDebugTool

You then want to select the drop down option in Visible HUD and change from none to performance. In performance hud mode you have two useful options the standard performance summary which will show how much headroom you have or how far past it you currently are and then app render timing which will show individually whether you are CPU or GPU bottlenecked, 11ms being 90fps, anything higher will activate ASW.

Last edited:

s73

What no RF2? Call yourself a sim racer? It was half price recently...

Lol, very useful I was scrolling down really looking forward to comparing settings on RF2 as I have fps trouble when streaming, but think I am being CPU throttled even with a 1080

Furnace Inferno

What no RF2? Call yourself a sim racer? It was half price recently...

Lol, very useful I was scrolling down really looking forward to comparing settings on RF2 as I have fps trouble when streaming, but think I am being CPU throttled even with a 1080
I almost bought it but I don't like how it relies on mods and there is barely any base content from the devs as far as I can tell. The final nail in the coffin was everyone saying VR performance was poor, I may end up getting it at some point once I finish up automobolista/f1 2016 and fully switch to VR racing.

geogan

I only have one of them - Raceroom - and although I thought I was getting great framerates and it looked OK, it was only when I used that Oculus developer tool Performance monitor which shows the realtime framerate that I was shocked to see how bad it was in this racing sim - was only getting about 40fps on a high-end GTX1070 model card (the Xtreme Gaming model). It is just the "timewarp" feature of Oculus driver that hides these low-frames rates - this fills in gaps with extra frames that are calculated from previous frame but not actually re-rendered - just previous frame moved slightly.

I would say the first thing to get rid of if you want more framerate would be any sort of oversampling TBH, I mean if you are getting 40fps at 1.0 then changing it unknowingly to 1.5 or 2.0 in user settings will drop the framerate only one way - lower. You are literally asking the game to render each frame at a higher resolution and then scale down for display.

I also read somewhere that any sort of real car mirror has a big hit as you are forcing game to render another scene view in each mirror which is tough. They advised turning mirrors off or some fake more efficient version.

Intriged about the VSYNC problem. I'd be intersted to see if this is true or not. Would have though Oculus/NVidia drivers would ignore monitor vsync settings in headset.

Anyway I will try your settings next time.

Magus

@Furnace Inferno
Thank you for that! Good to compare as I have pretty much an identical set-up to you; 3930K @ 4.7GHz, 32GB RAM, & 980Ti all under a custom loop.

I get a little bit more juice out of AC than you as I have AA samples @ 4, Shadows at High, AF x16, & World detail @ High & it runs very comfortably at 90fps without issues.

Can I ask, with your X79 board have you enabled PCIex3.0?
I know on my Asus, i need to enable it manually every time I update my drivers.

@s73
Yeah rF2 is a tough one and one that really benefits from PCIe 3.0 x 16 with people having drops of around 10-20fps without it. On top of that you have a variety of different tracks and mods with varying levels of LOD's and graphical/cpu intensity that it makes it very hard to have across the board settings.

My base settings for rF2 are;

Steam Super Sampling at 1.7 (which is approximately 1.3 if doing your PD via OTT) but what is important is not to use both as it really messes with the performance.
AA = 3
PP = Off

Now if your CPU isn't that great, it runs quite well to lock the game at 45fps via OTT, much smoother experience than trying to hit 90fps and the up & down in performance can be quite stuttery and ruin the VR experience.

In game:
I have everything on Full, apart from Shadows = low, Shadow Blur = Off, Reflections = Off. AFx16.

Now depending on track and mod I sometimes have to adjust opponent and track details down to High and rarely to Medium. I also usually drop down to 45fps at the start of the grid but within a couple of laps I notice the ASW no longer kicking in.

@Furnace Inferno
If you ever do decide to get rF2 I can list you what I believe to be a list of essential mods that are quality depending on your preference, some paid for, some free.

Last edited:

Furnace Inferno

Hmm, that is a fair bit higher, my performance seems to have got worse recently in Project Cars during the rain, not really sure why but I'm not even close to 90fps anymore, it was up at 19ms even when I pumped settings up.

I've adjusted some of my PCars settings now though, AA off and set 1.5 Pixel Density in one of the settings folders, I'll update shortly to reflect that but it has similar aliasing coverage and performance cost but makes a huge difference to clarity. VR seems to be all about pixel density right now to get the best image, unfortunately I don't think Dirt Rally has enough performance headroom for that.

How do you tell, Nvidia Inspector is showing Pci-E Interface 3.0 @ 2.0 x16 and my Asus OC thing is showing 2.0 @ 2.0 x16 but I know the former will just show whatever it's currently boosting to, so when not fully taxed it will drop down to 1.1 speeds. I have Forza Horizon 3 running in the background but not sure if that will do it? EDIT: Ok stopped playing and it drops back to 1.1 played in windowed so I could see and only goes to 2.0 but showing as plugged into 3.0?

I may get RFactor 2 at some point perhaps after I'm done with F1 2016 and Autombolista if that never gets a VR patch.

Last edited:

Magus

On the Nvidia Control Panel - Help - System Information, when you scroll down to Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen3 tells you if you are 3.0 x16. I'm not sure what your motherboard is but it may need to be activated in the BIOS or/& you may need to run the force-enable-gen3 patch by Nvidia or do it manually via registry edits (assuming you mobo has PCIIe 3.0 x 16 lanes).

Last edited:

Furnace Inferno

Just found the details on it, in my bios they were already all set to Gen3 but downloading the patch and restarting did the trick, I'll check later if it make a difference. I've seen some people say it messes with their GPU clocks and runs too fast.

Ok tested it in 3D Mark Time Spy and got an extra 45 points on the GPU score so definite improvement there, curiously compared to other GTX980Ti's I get the same score as people clocked at 1450Mhz at only 1420Mhz and lower memory clocks too.

Your CPU OC is good for an extra 6-900 points looking around which sounds huge but only gives 2fps more at most but I'm betting that the 13-14ms A.I spikes I get in AC at the start are reduced by that extra speed.

Last edited:

s73

I need to have. A play with this as I currently have to turn off streaming as it can't cope, I have a 4790 non K version and a 1080! I need to check I turn super sampling off, what doe PD via OTT mean? And will my Asus formula VII board have 16x PCIe? I think it's a Z97 chipset

Furnace Inferno

I need to have. A play with this as I currently have to turn off streaming as it can't cope, I have a 4790 non K version and a 1080! I need to check I turn super sampling off, what doe PD via OTT mean? And will my Asus formula VII board have 16x PCIe? I think it's a Z97 chipset
It should do, it was only an issue with the SB-E on x79 boards as it was added later in a bios update but I never bothered to check again since my GTX690 always worked in 3.0 without tinkering.

PD via OTT = Pixel Density via the Oculus diagnostics tool, the first option you can force pixel density higher than one globally. I prefer to do it per game though so I don't have to remember to turn it on or off each time depending on what I play as I can barely remember to change my wheel profiles!

Magus

PD = Pixel Density
OTT = Oculus Tray Tool
It's basically oculus's method of Supersampling that's measured differently to Steams. Steams you use Steam VR to set the SS level and Oculus's you use either OTT or Oculus Debug Tool.

EDIT: I should point out that the value for SteamVR SS = PD²

Last edited:

Furnace Inferno

What's the A.I like in RF2?

PCars is really quite poor because of how fake they are making them unaffected by the conditions the player runs and they are awful in close quarters racing made all the more obvious in VR when you see them swerve away if you get within a certain distance when passing.

Magus

What's the A.I like in RF2?

PCars is really quite poor because of how fake they are making them unaffected by the conditions the player runs and they are awful in close quarters racing made all the more obvious in VR when you see them swerve away if you get within a certain distance when passing.

It's one of its strongest areas and I prefer it over pcars or a.c. and r3e although I've only had limited play time with the latter (due to poor vr experience with ai).

I'm not a particularly fast racer, more in the middle to upper-mid range and in rf2 I enjoy having a race weekend with a few hours practice with AI @100 and work my way up from being 3 seconds or so slower than the AI and working my way up as far as I can before frustration sets in. The races I feel are more realistic and not scripted (like in ac) and the AI very aware of you and other cars with the ability to compete with each other.

However, a recent update has caused some strange behaviour of AI when the safety car comes out so I tend to race without the yellow flag till it is addressed. Also AI can be not as good with mod cars or tracks, especially those mods created with leagues in mind.

I think the game is an ABSOLUTE bargain at its current rate but they regularly have 50% off so keep am eye on it and hopefully by then they would have released the new UI and addressed some of its ever growing to-do list.

Last edited:

Furnace Inferno

How about in changing conditions? The thing that really annoyed me in earlier Codemasters F1 games and now PCars is the A.I are just way to quick in changing conditions and continue to drive dry lap times or start doing it before the track is dry because the physics aren't being simulated. I don't mind it needing to be faked but get the crossover timing right and have some gradual drop off or gain!

I've reavaluated 1.5pd in PCars, has a much higher performance cost in the rain for some reason, either that or the PCI-E 3.0 change is doing something funny.

Magus

I can't honestly answer your question about wet racing in rF2 as I have rarely done it. The only complaints I have read on the forums are that some cars don't have wet compounds, others state that the wet tires are too fast, there was lots said about how quickly the race line dried up & also about how AI would pit in for tyres if it rained near the end of the race. How fast the AI performs under wet conditions isn't something I recall reading about.

The only thing I can tell you is that rain drops are not simulated on the windscreen, there are no working wipers & the whole wet experience is something that people are asking to be prioritised for development.

When pCARS was installed on my system I'm pretty sure I had it at 1.3PD but I've always ran PCIe-3.0 so I would be interested to know if it does have an adverse effect in some games. I don't have pCARS installed on my system any more to test a difference.

s73

Raindrops make me laugh in Rfactor. They go right through the car as does the spray from the car in front as does tyre smoke as when I over cook a corner in a FWD car smoking the tyre I look down and see a little fire developing in the foot wells, but don't let that put you off, it's a great game when raced in multiplayer. Single player, I could probably live without it

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom