Sim Racing Chat

Magus

@Thug I've managed to convince myself to try and get a 2nd hand prosimu t1000 3m with the larger actuators. I only have my imagination to go on how awesome that may be in vr. Do you love your motion+vr combo? Can you talk me out of making a possible mistake?

Thug

@Thug I've managed to convince myself to try and get a 2nd hand prosimu t1000 3m with the larger actuators. I only have my imagination to go on how awesome that may be in vr. Do you love your motion+vr combo? Can you talk me out of making a possible mistake?
i wish i could, but racing without motion is simply....dead.
I dont regret for a minute getting full motion at all, and sometimes i can only race without due to the noise and wife working from home, but it just doesnt feel right any more.
You will LOVE it.

Magus

i wish i could, but racing without motion is simply....dead.
I dont regret for a minute getting full motion at all, and sometimes i can only race without due to the noise and wife working from home, but it just doesnt feel right any more.
You will LOVE it.

DAMN :)

I am due to take the long drive to view/buy the rig once the lockdown ends (hopefully). I also still need to sell my Simetik K2 frame to make the space for it.

SO if anybody wants a cheap Simetik K2 frame, let me know, I have resisted placing it on ebay but I think I may have to as I'm not sure what I will do with it if/when I get the prosimu.

Ono

Very envious of those with dedicated rooms and rig set ups. :thumbsup:

Watching too much Jimmy Broadbent recently. Been playing ACC and DR2 in VR a lot too but wanted to get more immersive so dug up my very old Logitech G25 only to mind the pedals missing somewhere - probably in the garage.

Decided to get a new G920 (wife is going to kill me). Wish I could afford a Fanatec jobbie but my wife really would kill me then.

Thug

DAMN :)

I am due to take the long drive to view/buy the rig once the lockdown ends (hopefully). I also still need to sell my Simetik K2 frame to make the space for it.

SO if anybody wants a cheap Simetik K2 frame, let me know, I have resisted placing it on ebay but I think I may have to as I'm not sure what I will do with it if/when I get the prosimu.
Try advertising it on AVF classifieds.

smithersmk

The new ACC update has made VR playable for me at 90fps, I just use the High VR preset then drop the Mirror resolution down to low, 20m, 20fps & SS to 100 (which on the HPG1 is fine) and all good :)
@Thug have you tried it out with your 3080 in VR. I know you were content with ASW but I wonder how you can push the settings to maintain 90fps?

On another plus note, the new Spa in rF2 is damn awesome too!

It's going to be a great weekend of sim-racing!

Good to know that i should be able to run it VR now. How hard is it find a decent server for online racing? i currently race on AC with the SRS mod.

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
Last piece of the jigsaw for me (for the time being!).

Managed to pick up a fantastic deal on a set of Heusinkveld Sprint pedals on Black Friday. I originally was going to buy the Meca Cup 1 pedals, but I pulled out at the last minute. The customer aftercare support from Heusinkveld tipped it for me, as well as the price I managed to get.

So happy for now. Added 4 transducers on my seat for some tactile feedback (2 underneath, 2 on the back), and I would argue of all the new gear I’ve added recently, this has been the most satisfying. Feels terrific when configured properly in Sim Hub, and without them the experience just feels flat.

I also purchased a couple of Philips Hue playbars on Black Friday for either side of the monitor. Using the Sync app, it syncs the lights with whatever is happening on screen. You can have it as in your face or as subtle as you like, but it’s great! Especially when racing at night, passing under floodlights or headlight from other cars, it really adds a bit of immersion.

69CED090-2E7F-4829-A94C-9647377446FF.jpeg

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
No clutch pedal?

No, never drive any H-Pattern cars. Formula, GT3 and LMP mainly. I’m hoping to pick up a sequential shifter at some point, but I’m in no hurry.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
What games are you hardcore drivers playing?
I'm on iracing, got a 6 hour endurance race at Spa in the lmp2 tonight, i race with 2 other guys and we do 2 hour stints each. We finished 3rd in our last endurance race. I've tried some of the other sims but for me iracing is unbeatable if wanting to race against real people

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
I'm on iracing, got a 6 hour endurance race at Spa in the lmp2 tonight, i race with 2 other guys and we do 2 hour stints each. We finished 3rd in our last endurance race. I've tried some of the other sims but for me iracing is unbeatable if wanting to race against real people

Streaming?

spencer_uk

has anyone tried out the new UI in RF2 and the online races? I am thinking about taking the plunge in the sales but still not sure given it is still a bit of an investment (base £13, spa £8, endurance bundle £9, track expansion £16... ). Is there much of an online community?

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
has anyone tried out the new UI in RF2 and the online races? I am thinking about taking the plunge in the sales but still not sure given it is still a bit of an investment (base £13, spa £8, endurance bundle £9, track expansion £16... ). Is there much of an online community?

I briefly tried it, and whilst the UI is an improvement it still feels unintuitive and looks like it belongs somewhere in the last decade.

I picked up Automobilista 2 in the sales which looks to be value for money.

However I’ve been hitting Assetto Corsa Competizione hard over the festive period. Signed up to a site called The Sim Grid which run 25 minute races every hour. Think I’ve done about 25 races since December 12th!

Whilst not without incidents, they are a lot cleaner than public lobbies, and have a big active community on Discord. The best online racing experiences I’ve had since the good old AVF GT5 days!

spencer_uk

Thanks for that... I might try it out although probably need to become better at racing. I'll save my cash then and hold off on rf2

I like AMS2, lots of content and feels fun to drive although sometimes a little rough around the edges. Was driving P1 cars around Hockenheim earlier which was a hoot

Ono

Project Cars 2 for me still with some AMS2 in between. ACC lacks a bit of variety for me at the moment and I got tired of faffing about with the mods in AC.

Did pick up others in the Steam sale including KartKraft, BeamNG and CarX Drift Racing. Not really got into them yet although the karting one is great in VR.

Anyway - here's me in my Ferrari in PC2:

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Had an ultra close finish for 3rd place in the radicals at road America on iracing last night, have been playing this game for 8 months now and still get shaky leg syndrome sitting on the grid before a race!! Vr racing is so immersive. Any of you guys play iracing feel free to add me Frankie Dixon
IMG_20210127_091904.jpg

Matt Horne

So for the total beginner who plays forza and need for speed (with a xbox controller) - which game would you recommend as a starting point ?

Tempted to get a quest 2 just to try out vr - but do any of the games have a good single player career to start off with ?

Thanks

Matt

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
So for the total beginner who plays forza and need for speed (with a xbox controller) - which game would you recommend as a starting point ?

Tempted to get a quest 2 just to try out vr - but do any of the games have a good single player career to start off with ?

Thanks

Matt
I've always been a console gamer up until last year when I decided to buy a pc and a sim rig. Some of the sim games have a single player career too. On iracing I just joined the practice servers with other drivers and did laps until I thought I was consistent enough to go and do an actual race

Goooner

Distinguished Member

Thanks

Matt
Project Cars 2 is good.

Can be picked up for £6 on CD Keys, or £9.50 for the deluxe version.

VR compatible too, if you do go for a Quest.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Project Cars 2 is good.

Can be picked up for £6 on CD Keys, or £9.50 for the deluxe version.

VR compatible too, if you do go for a Quest.
I've found that about the worst for car feeling, it almost feels like the cars are floating, looks pretty though and worth picking up for £6

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Ah, ok.

I mainly played on Xbox on release, with the controller because I couldn’t be bothered to get my wheel out. Seemed decent.

I’ve only done one race on PC just to try out the VR.

Really need to get back on it and Dirt Rally 2.

Especially as my wheel is in the same room as my pc and I can unfold the stand and hook it up in a minute or two.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Ah, ok.

I mainly played on Xbox on release, with the controller because I couldn’t be bothered to get my wheel out. Seemed decent.

I’ve only done one race on PC just to try out the VR.

Really need to get back on it and Dirt Rally 2.

Especially as my wheel is in the same room as my pc and I can unfold the stand and hook it up in a minute or two.
Haven't played dirt rally 2 yet, loved the first one though

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Ruark introduces R5 Signature audio player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JBL launches compact 4309 Studio Monitor speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL launches TS8132 Dolby Atmos soundbar