Sim only or PAYG

Reaction score
Morning all
After some advise
My lad is now after his 1st phone so I'm looking to buy a second hand iPhone for him.
I think I contract is a no but I'm looking at sim only deals or PAYG.
What are people's thoughts and experiences on these SIM cards.
Ideally looking for a good cheap deal with plenty of data but don't want any other costs or nasty surprises.
Would I be better sim only deal 30 day or going PAYG.
Didn't want to commit to anything major like 12 months due to him likely to loose the phone at some point.
Data is a must due to kids these days on Facebook, chat, YouTube etc.
Can these deals be capped?
20yr ago when I got my 1st phone you put £20 on and when it was gone it's gone, but they seem to have changed these days.
My own phone is with EE and have no issues for coverage in Sheffield.
Not sure about the rest 02, 3, & virgin.
Vodafone is a defo No

Thanks all
Also if I get a second hand phone locked are there easy to unlock??

Morning all
After some advise
My lad is now after his 1st phone so I'm looking to buy a second hand iPhone for him.
Ideally looking for a good cheap deal with plenty of data but don't want any other costs or nasty surprises.
Would I be better sim only deal 30 day or going PAYG.
Didn't want to commit to anything major like 12 months due to him likely to loose the phone at some point.
Data is a must due to kids these days on Facebook, chat, YouTube etc.
Can these deals be capped?
20yr ago when I got my 1st phone you put £20 on and when it was gone it's gone, but they seem to have changed these days.
My own phone is with EE and have no issues for coverage in Sheffield.
Not sure about the rest 02, 3, & virgin.
Vodafone is a defo No

Thanks all
Also if I get a second hand phone locked are there easy to unlock??
Even though I replied in the other thread, thought I would detail it a bit more here for you. ;)

If you do get an iPhone, make sure it is unlocked as it is a pain for a new buyer and so much easier for the original owner to do.

If you son is anything like mine (whereas most friends have an iPhone) then data is a must.

As I said, I originally got him that PAYG Three 3 2 1 sim which seemed ideal. Cheap rates for calls and texts. But data is a killer on it (I guess the same for most PAYG?).

He mostly uses Whatsapp, Instagram, Snapchat & Facetime and all those messaging apps which all use data. When he is at home on WiFi, its not an issue, but when out, data is essential.

If I were you, get a couple of free PAYG sims from a couple of networks, e.g. EE & Three, stick a tenner on each and see how you go? That way you can check his usage and what the coverage is like and not be tied to a contract.

If there are any issues, then you can pick them up before its too late.

Then if the allowance is getting hammered, then you know which network to look for the best deals. In the end I settled for the £11 Three deal with 200 mins, unlimited texts and 2GB data. I have capped it as well, so he can't go over.

Good luck!

EE are doing a summer sim, top up £10 get 50 mins, 50 texts, 1gb of data.

After you've topped up, text SUMMER100 to 150 and get 100gb of free data for 2 months.

I've just got my Dad an iPhone, he's moving from a blackberry and this sim is helping in the transition.

100GB Free Summer Sims | EE PAYG Sim | EE

Just a point of clarification, sim only is a contract and on most networks it's just as easy to run up a very large bill as it is on a handset contract.

There are a few exceptions, Tesco, for example will do a contract with a hard cap.

I’m in the process of trying out a PAYG sim from The Post Office MVNO running on EE but with no 4G not that that matters a lot as I’m getting 18 down and just over 3 up using 3G.

I’m trying the £5 bundle with 250 minutes of calls + 3000 SMS and 500 Mb of data plus if you top up a tenner they give you a bonus tenner that expires at 30 days along with the bundle but you can use this to cover the cost of any MMS’s you may use or should you run out of calls or data before your bundle expires.

Your account will auto renew the bundle each month unless you stop it doing so and you can also set up auto top up so once set up you no need to do anything unless you want a bigger bundle.

Working well for me and I’ve tested the data speeds on both EE and the Post Office and there is no throttling the speeds like some MVNO’s do.

Post Office Mobile | Call Rates

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom