SIM Locked message

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Franco50, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've just bought a used but unlocked Sagem MyX2-2 to replace my MyX2 model which has a damaged casing (but still works). The SIM card is a Vodafone PAYG and I thought it was a simple matter of sticking the SIM in the new phone and Bob's yer uncle! When I do this I get a 'sim locked' message. :confused: I didn't get a user guide with the new phone so am unsure what I need to do now. How can I get the new phone working with the Vodafone SIM card?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,297
    It's not, by any chance, asking you for the PIN for your own original SIM, the one now in the phone, is it?

3. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    No. Switch the phone on and after the Sagem logo has gone, "SIM locked" appears. Battery condition is top left corner and top right corner is, presumably, the signal indicator which in this case is a flashing red 'Y' shape.

I never used a pin with the old phone.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,297
    In that case, I suspect the phone is not network-free (unlocked) as you describe it. Because, if it were, then - yes - all you need to do is put your SIM in it and all is then well. If I'm right, you'll need to either revert to the seller (for misdescribing the thing) or visit an independent mobile phone store and have it unlocked - usually costs a tenner.

5. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for the help. Only snag I can see now is that I don't know what network the phone was on with the previous owner. It was bought on EBay and I've emailed the seller to tell them it is not unlocked as advertised. Whether they bother to answer though is another matter.

6. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Seller replied to my email stating that they bought it as an unlocked phone and it worked fine on their Orange SIM. Looks like I'm snookered on this one as (a) I can't simply put my own SIM in and use it and (b) I can't get it unlocked myself as presumably it requires the previous owner's SIM card which I havn't got!
    :thumbsdow

7. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You wouldnt need the previous owners sim to get it unlocked providing you can find some where that is able to un-lock that type of phone