1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim HT200DM with an iscan HD or new projector.....can you help?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lighty, May 5, 2004.

1. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    hi

i've had a HT200DM for a couple of years now and am getting the itch to upgrade.

the picture quality is excellent at present but the only slight niggle is the off centre image with R1 and R2 discs from my dvd player.

the sim's native rez is 848x480 i believe, and with R2 dvd's i get'800x600' when i ask for the info from the sim and '640x480' for R1.

it means some discs seem to have the left edge lined up but i lose a fraction from the right ...is this normal?
    the firmware hasn't been upgraded since i bought it ...

i've seen the H56 and was impressed - and at £1500 on this forum are very tempting, but i like my sim and guess i'd only get £1500 or so if i sell it

so its new dlp or an iscan HD... what do you think out there?

many thanks

sean

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think you would be better off upgrading to a DLP with 12 degree mirrors as you will find the contrast goes up from 600:1 to 2000:1 in the case of the Domino.
    Also with the Matterhorn 1024 x 576 DMD you will get a higher resolution picture.
    The improvement the iScan will give won't be nearly so great as the move up to one of the latest generation DLP machines.

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I think you would be better of upgrading to the latest software actually - which is free. Maybe also a better dvd player - what type do you have?

I have a Sim2 DMF and its lovely. When playing PAL dvds on my DV88+p I get 720*576 and when I run it through my HTPC I get 848*480 on pixel by pixel.

This is all possible with the right dvd player/HTPC setup

CaM

4. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    thanks cam

i've read about software upgrades - but don't you need a serial cable of some sort?
    did you do your own software?
    my sim is the DM (pre 'F') but picture is still fantastic in my eyes.....
    is there anyone on these forums who can supply the software / loan the necessary cable?
    i'm thinking of an HTPC myself - is it worth going this way - do you use HTPC or dv88+ for films mainly?
    could you also send me your HTPC spec with software.....
    sorry for all the q's - thanks for any help you can give!!

sean

5. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I would be happy to send you the software - pm me with your email account (it is about 500k from memory). The software update will defiently increase the pic quality btw. You will need a serial cable (about £12) and a pc. Its pretty easy to do - just follow the readme file directions.

My newly configured (and still to be tweaked) HTPC gives better results than my DV88+p. At the moment I use them 50/50 - HTPC for a movie on my HD and DV88+p for rentals. I use them 80/20 for music (i.e. I use my HTPC far more)

specs for my HTPC:

fast motherboard, P4 CPU (with hyperthreading), 2 HD (1 for OS/games/apps, 1 for Media), 1.5 gig Ram (dual channel), 9800 Radeon, RME932

Software being Windows XP, Powerdvd, Xlobby, Powerstrip, Winamp, DVDShrink, DVDecrypt

I hope that helps

CaM

6. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you need that amount of RAM for HTPC use?

7. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after I load up XP, start Xlobby and play (uncompressed) tunes around the place, start playing call of duty online, check internet/email in between rounds plus have my wife's logon going (with her stuff open) at the same time I'm already down to about 400,00 megs and thats without doing anything special. :)

The more good ram you have (i.e. 400 DDR and over) the more it will get sucked up by your apps.

CaM

8. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    thanks again cam
    hopefully i can sort the software out myself and maybe sort a HTPC very soon.....

9. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no worries, let me know if you need any questions answered.

CaM