1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim ht200

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by clancol, Sep 10, 2003.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    sim ht200. I have seen that these projecters are priced at about £2000-£2400. Does anyone have or seen one. what is the picture quality like and what projecter would it be comparable to now.

2. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    if you want a cheap sim2 then get the domino 20....

CaM

3. TwistedPear

TwistedPear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ClanCol, I have one - I got it a while ago (January 2001 - I think) - so I must admit I'm out of date with recent competition.

Personally, I love it - although I did buy an IScan Pro to improve image quality from all sources - Xbox, SKY, VCR and DVD.

In my opinion, at the time I made a selection - there was no competition.

I would guess there are a few on the second hand market - take advantage of someone elses depreciation. They are rock solid - I've never had a problem, and so far no one has mentioned the "Rainbow Effect" I was nervous about.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It's a £6K projector for £2,500.

OK, DLP chip technology and the quality of scalers have improved over the last couple of years but they haven't dropped that much in price and you've still got all the other attributes of this projector that made it worth £6000 originally.

If you have a progressive scan DVD player and can live with the 4:3 DLP panel then I think this should definately be on your audition list. It's not a Domino 20, but it isn't £3750 either. Have a look, what have you got to lose?

Regards

5. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Does it compare toa nec ht1000 though?

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    I did see a Sim2 HT200DMF (800 x 600 or 848 x 480 switchable), and I thought it had a slight edge over the HT1000 for colour rendition and smoothness. I was seeing them both from around 14ft on a 7ft screen (IIRC).

At the time, the DMF was approx £1000 more than the nec, and didn't have the image flexibility of the nec. As the picture quality was similar, I had to choose from the other factors - the throw of the NEC was better suited to my set-up, the £1000 difference was quite a lot of money to me, and for my seating position, I needed xga (I could ccasionaly make out screendoor on my Davis), so the HT1000 won.

The Domino 20 is a great little performer too though. Sim have good image processing and optics, and both of those go a long way to making the image look good on a screen. Considering how much Sim models normaly cost, the 20 is a great pj for the price. Only negative is no dvi IIRC. It does display Hi Def to make your mouth water though. :)

I didn't see the HT1000 alongside the 20, but I wouldn't say there was an aweful lot of difference between them. I would think the Sim would have the slight edge in picture quality though.

Gary.

7. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I bought one when they first came out for around £5500 and can honestly say I loved it. Never saw a hint of a rainbow - certainly did when I auditioned a yamaha - and it served me faultlessly until I got the urge to upgrade and bought a 300+...

At two grand its a steal.

8. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm not convinced it is a steal. I would be inclined to look for a second hand model onlong the likes of the sim2 DMF (which I have). You might be able to get one of them for about 2,500 if you are lucky.

CaM

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    I know I'm biased, but I would be inclined to reccommend an NEC HT1000 if you can get one for around £2300. It has a higher resolution and can be used as a dedicated 16:9 projector, which is the way I use mine.

Gary.