1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim" HT200 or PT-AE100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I'm in the market for a new pj, having been running a Sony VPL900 for the last 2 years. Had a demo of the Sim2 HT200 (not the DM model) today and have to say it was head and shoulders above mine - even without the ps input.

I then went to another shop and had a demo of the Yamaha DXP1 and Runco CL500. Ruled the DXP1 out immediately due to rainbow effect and the Runco on price. Did not think it was massively better than the HT200 (although to be fair the HT200 was set up with component input and the Runco with S-Video).

I'm also considering a Sony VW11HT but my question here is this.

Is the HT200 better or worse than the AE100? (realising that this is somewhat subjective).

Considering the AE100 is less than half the price of the HT200 is the latter twice as good to justify the extra cost?

Unfortunately, living in cardiff we are not blessed with a huge selection of AV suppliers and dem rooms so I am trying to gather what will be best for me from advice as well.

Any help truly appreciated. BTW, my current DVD player is a Sony DVP-S7700 switched via S-Vid through a Sony DA50ES amp to a plasma screen and the pj. I would seriously like to go down the HCPC route soon as I have a 'spare' P4 2GHz PC, so wish to take this into account. I will probably buy a Pro-V or iScan with the pj also.

Thanks.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sim2 build some pretty decent PJs. The 200 is quite nice, but limited as it only does 800x600. The 200DM also has the 848x480 widerscreen mode. The Sim2 PJ does have quite a long throw, so you'll have to set it up quite a long way away from the screen to get a big picture. The AE100, on the other hand, has a very short throw. The differences in LCD (AE100) and DLP (Sim2) have elaborated on in quite a few posts, so do a search on those terms to learn more. My guess is the Sim provides the better picture. The Sim 2 is pretty much plug and play, but the AE100 is quite picky about it's signal feed. It has to be VGA (RGB) to really get the best form the PJ. That means you'll have to use either a Home Theater PC or a deinterlacer (IScan, for example) , which may increase the cost for the setup. The Sony is a high quality LCD projector capable of nice results, but to get the best out of it, you mat have to tweak it more than the other PJs. I suggest you'll also have a look at the Epson TW100, if you can. And of course there's the Plus Piano which really is a great PJ, especially the new one that should be available in July/August (if at all in th e UK :D )

Good luck.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks mr. Custard. I've just had a long chat with Andrew at AV-Sales who has also steered me to the TW100. I am hoping to arrange a demo of this model as it sounds perfect.

Anyone actually got one or seen one? Any good?

Thanks.