1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim HT200 DMF problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sturm, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Sturm

Sturm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Turned on my projector last night to find a continuous red line down the screen (just right of centre). Went through the usual testing but the line is still present using the test patterns (also p[resent when fully disconnected from my video switcher) so it is definitely the projector.

Has anyone come across this problem before? I have had it for 18 months and it has 419 hours on the clock (surely this is low use). Is it a case of talking to Owl and shipping it back to them for repair? Also does anyone know the lamp life?

Any guidance would be appreciated,

Sturm.

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Owl no longer distribute Sim2 products.

Sim2 UK Ltd was set up about 2.5 yrs ago.

You can contact them on 01825 750850.

Ask to speak to Eddie Sargent who is in charge of their service dept.

Jeff

3. Sturm

Sturm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    RTFM,

Thanks for that. I spoke to Eddie this morning, who seems like a knowledgeable and friendly chap, and he believes it's a board problem. Looks like I'm going to be out upwards of £500. Can't believe it. Had the projector for 6 months and it had have a new lamp and balast now 18 months down the line and this. Bugger !! This is my last Sim2 product.

Sturm.

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    unlucky. My sim2 had problems and I dropped it into Sim2 who fixed it within 2 hours which was good. My repairs were about £100 though.

CaM

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Wasn't the new lamp covered by the warranty or did you not own the projector from new?

I've owned 3 Sim2's and so far have only had one minor problem with my first one. It sounds as though you've been very unlucky!

6. Sturm

Sturm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Timmy C,

Yeah, I have had the projector from new and the lamp was covered. It has just really cheesed me off that less that 2 months after the board warranty has expired (you get 2 years apparently) it has possibly failed.

The other half of the story is that I had originally a HT 200 but it spent more time at Owl than it did at my house (flicker problem) so I refused to take it back. Eventually, after some heated discussions, it was replaced by the HT 200 DMF. As previously discussed though I've had a few problems with the DMF in the past and now this.

Don't get me wrong, when the projector is working the picture is excellent (I use a Vutec electric screen) but for it to be away really sucks. :(

Thanks for the all the sympathies guys, :thumbsup:

Sturm.

7. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Two months out of warranty and a repair bill like that is pretty unfortunate. I can see why you maybe put off future purchases. I hope nothing like this happens with my Domino in the future otherwise it may well be the end of home cinema for me!

8. Sturm

Sturm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Final update to the story.

It was a problem with the driver board, which had to be replaced for the princely sum of approx £630. So if you see a vertical line appearing on your screen either check your warranty (2 years for the driver board from purchase) or get your wallet out.

Take it easy,

Sturm.

9. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    yikes! that is a lot...you must have considered dumping your pj for another....

on the brightside...I finally got my sim2 dmf working at 50hz on my htpc and the image still looks very good on dvd.

CaM

10. Sturm

Sturm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Another update :

Turned on my projector tonight (wanted to give a friend a demo of COD2 on the Xbox360) and the picture has been somehow trippled. By this, and this is the best way I can explain it, the input signal selection (at the top left hand side) is now at the top left, the middle left and the bottom left, and there is unbelievable flickering. This appears at all times, using the test patterns and also disconnected from my Meridian AV kit.

I just can't belive it. The projector has been back for repair twice now (the last time at the start of October 2005 which cost £620) and it's going to have to go back again. How sh*t is the internal build quality of this kit !!! :mad: There is under 500 hours on the clock as it gets used a couple of times a week.

Ad Roser, if you happen to be reading this as I believe you work for Sim2, is there simply something fundamentally wrong with the projector. Surely an expensive piece of equipment like this should not have to be repaired 3 times in 3 years. It was installed in November 2002, went for repair in February 2004, repair in October 2005 and now it looks like your repair department is going to get it again. This time I shall be enclosing a letter to your MD.

Rant over !!!! :mad:

11. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I think Sim2 should replace your HT200 DMF with a current model in retrospect of the number of issues you’ve experienced. You must have a duff unit, as generally the build quality of Sim2 products is second to non. Keep us updated.

12. Sturm

Sturm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'll be speaking with Sim2 today and will let you know the outcome. Cheers for the support Zippy.

13. Sturm

Sturm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have spoken with Alan Roser at Sim2 UK this morning and went through the situation. Sending my projector back tomorrow and Alan has stated that there will be no cost involved.

Although this is a good gesture I believe this is the least they could do and am still not happy with the so called 'performance life' of the projector.

Stay tuned, we shall see what happens.