1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim free vs connected

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Mr-Reece, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Mr-Reece

Mr-Reece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What the main differences betwen the above? Do the connected phones still lack a lot of the features of a sim free phone? :confused:

2. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sim-free means you get the phone "as-is" without contract, not tied to a network. you get the phone as described by the manufacturer.

a connected phone is generally tied to one network, and therefore cannot be used with a different network sim card. these phones are generally as standard, occasionally they come in a unique colour, and have network specific software which brands the phone as belonging to that network. My sagem phone says "vodafone" when you turn it on etc. but i could conceivably unlock this phone and use it on T-mobile or Orange without difficulty.

The main difference between a sim free and a connected mobile is the price you pay. Most networks offer free or discounted handsets as an incentive to sign a 12 month contract. A sim free phone is a non-subsidised handset and generally costs a lot more for the "freedom" it gives you.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    In case you didn't work it out - a SIM free phone will not work on its own. You need a SIM card as well. But these are cheap or free depending on network and type of service.

As stated, buy a phone complete with SIM and it will be locked to that network. Buy a SIM free phone, and a separate SIM, and you can then change networks ((by getting a different SIM) whenever you like.

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't O2 contract phones still come unlocked?

It can be a cheap way to buy a new phone if you get a good contract deal - the cost of a years line rental can still be cheaper than a sim-free purchase, so you just put your existing sim in and transfer the new phones sim onto the lowest tarrif and don't use it - cancel after a year.

SPs' generally tailor the phones start up screen and web/data settings for their own connection settings, but functionality is essentially the same for contract or sim-free

5. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Only T Mobile and Orange lock their phones, Voda and O2 have always come from the factory unlocked.

6. Mr-Reece

Mr-Reece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers everyone! I might go for a free handset from 02 then and save my self a few bob. Back in the day i got a connected and it had a lot missing compared to sim free. Looks like things have changed. :smashin:

7. ashhussain1989

ashhussain1989

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo difference

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

I think you will find that Vodafone lock thier phones, My gx20 was locked and had to be unlocked before it would take a t mobile sim.

9. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    and BT phones????
    locked... unlocked ?

10. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Not sure.

I had a bt cell net nokia phone a while ago on contract, and when I sold it on to a freind who had an orange sim card it worked with no problems. I dont know wether that is the case now though.

11. yaserk99

yaserk99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BT phones come sim free all the time. i have bought a T610 from the carphone and my mate bought a e700 from the link and they both came sim free on BT. I DONT THINK BT BOTHER :thumbsup: BUT if you wish to buy from orange or vodafone- the main culprits :devil: tend to lock the phones to they own respective networks. for example orange tend to change the menu. when i bought my Panasonic X70 from them they had changed the original menu and had their own :eek: although it is better than the menu on my sim-free d500- which i bought online from www.e2save.com on the vodafone network. suprised it wasnt locked :smashin: . on new phones that you get from orange they also have a orange menu on the home screen which you cant remove :nono: the popular phones that have that is the grey d500, SE k700 and samsung e800. :thumbsdow check the difference out lads.