1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIM-free or contract?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by RohanM, Aug 11, 2005.

1. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have a work Nokia 6310i and am looking to get my 'own' phone, possibly a K750i, for as cheap as possible.

SIM-free makes sense in a way, as I don't need a contract (will use the work SIM), but if there was a really juicy offer, then the missus could use the 'new contract SIM' in her phone (currently PAYG).

Looking at various websites, I'm a bit bamboozled, and not sure of which would be the best way to go...

So, SIM-Free, or contract? And where's a good place to look?

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Tricky really, as with a contract they will normally give you a top quality phone free of charge as your tied in for a year or two.

I recently binned my contract with Orange and got a O2 payg sim which is working out nice and cheap. I'd check out the airtime suppliers websites first as they have Online only special deals.

Sim free unsubsidised phones can be pretty expensive to shell out in one lump.

3. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I found the simplest way is to just shop around and see which stores are selling the contract phone (Pre-unlocked, as they have to be) on it's own for the cheapest price.

The week the S700i came out I went phone-hunting. Everywhere I tried quoted me at least £600+ for the phone on it's own, until I came to one shop selling it for only £360. I snapped it up.

It is as if it were straight from the factory, and also doesn't have any network branding on it as I know Orange and Vodafone like to do to most of their phones...

Alternatively, find a cheap PAYG phone, and get someone to unlock it for you