Sim free not unlocked??

Juliesinar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just come back from Meadowhall with my 16GB iPhone 4, which I bought sim free. I thought that sim free meant that I could switch network provider at will. As I'm going to use it on PAYG or on a 30 day rolling contract I thought it was good to have the flexibility, as I'm not still 100% sure who I want to go with.

However, the salesperson said this was not the case, and as soon as I put a sim in it and synched it would be locked to that network, this stumped me a bit as had not expected it to work like that.

Anyway, he said he would double check, and when he came back he said as long as I used a PAYG sim it would not lock it, however if I put a contract sim in it, it would be locked to that network, he also said that a 30 day rolling contract would not lock it but he was not 100% sure.

Has anyone heard the same? I don't mind if PAYG does not lock it as he said, but if it does I might as well have gone for a PAYG and saved £30

Julie

Rubbish. They are totally sim free :smashin:

I really hope you are right, i was so taken back by the news I almost walked out without one.

He did say earlier in the day they tested it by putting a Vodafone sim in and then putting an O2 sim in and it would not work.

Julie

you may need to update the APN settings of you swap btween carriers, but this is NOT locking the phone to a network, just needs updating

dont worry, i have had 3 sims in mine now, voda,02, and t-mobile and the phone is still unlocked.

dont worry, i have had 3 sims in mine now, voda,02, and t-mobile and the phone is still unlocked.

Thanks for that news, I can stop worrying now, I ended up getting a PAYG sim from O2 so I could use my phone before I decided who to settle with, but I've not set it up as I was worried I might lock it to O2

Julie

I was told something similar today at the Glasgow store. The girl dealing with me asked if I had a micro sim to which I said not yet but I was going to get one from o2 on the way home. She said that is fine as if they gave me a micro sim and activated it my phone would lose its sim free and be locked to o2.

guys i dont understand this,i bought a sim free phone from apple,if i insert a tmobile sim it gets locked to tmobile,and if i insert a vodaphone sim it will be locked to vodaphone. is this what you are saying.

guys i dont understand this,i bought a sim free phone from apple,if i insert a tmobile sim it gets locked to tmobile,and if i insert a vodaphone sim it will be locked to vodaphone. is this what you are saying.

No, you can change at will.

Hi,

I've just come back from Meadowhall with my 16GB iPhone 4, which I bought sim free. I thought that sim free meant that I could switch network provider at will. As I'm going to use it on PAYG or on a 30 day rolling contract I thought it was good to have the flexibility, as I'm not still 100% sure who I want to go with.

However, the salesperson said this was not the case, and as soon as I put a sim in it and synched it would be locked to that network, this stumped me a bit as had not expected it to work like that.

Anyway, he said he would double check, and when he came back he said as long as I used a PAYG sim it would not lock it, however if I put a contract sim in it, it would be locked to that network, he also said that a 30 day rolling contract would not lock it but he was not 100% sure.

Has anyone heard the same? I don't mind if PAYG does not lock it as he said, but if it does I might as well have gone for a PAYG and saved £30

Julie

I'm in a similar situation. I was told by the guy dealing with me that ''sim free'' means that I have the option to go to any operator and then the phone becomes locked to that network!!.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom