Sim Domino Projectors

charles

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have narrowed by choice of projector down to a sim domino 20 0r 30.Have seen the 20 but not the 30.Very impressed with picture but have a few questions.
1. The 20 is optimised for PAL 1024X576 so would there be any point in purchasing the higher resolution 30 for PAL DVD and Sky digital?
2. Would it be worth the extra £500 for an HDMI version of the 20
and if so any reccomendations on players
3. If an HDMI 20 was purchased would it be possible to use a scart/component adaptor cable and send Sky digital through the component input?
4.Looking for a fixed widescreen 7foot. Each dealer suggests a different make. Any suggestions?
Many thanks
Charles

Hi Charles,

To be honest, this is a tough call. Let me start with the easy ones first.

Quote; Would it be worth the extra £500 for an HDMI version of the 20 and if so any reccomendations on players.

If you decide on the Domino 20 then I would strongly recommend HDMI which wrings out ever last drop of detail from the DVD. I would also suggest going for the Pioneer DVD-868AVi. This player gives you the most flexibility when using the HDMI output and it has excellent video quality.

Quote; If an HDMI 20 was purchased would it be possible to use a scart/component adaptor cable and send Sky digital through the component input?

The answer is YES. The Domino has a component/RGBS compatible input for SKY but you will need the HDMI or an alternative input for your DVD.

Quote; Looking for a fixed widescreen 7foot. Each dealer suggests a different make. Any suggestions?

Charles, look no further than RTFM. He has access to a fabulous and very reasonably priced range of fixed screens as well as the afor mentioned Pioneer DVD player. This now links up with your final question about Domino 20 or Domino 30. Jeff (RTFM) has both of these pj's on demo and you will be able to see the fixed screen, both Domino's AND the Pioneer all in one eye popping hit. Good luck.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

Hi Paul
Thanks for your helpful reply.Could you let me know who RTFM are as I live in Norfolk.
Have you seen the Sim Domino yourself?
Looked on the Pioneer website regarding the DVD you mentioned.They also feature a 668 model which supports HDMI minus a few facilities,but as the 868 sells for around £300 more there must be more advantages than this.
Charles

Charles,

There is a dedicated forum area for Sim2 now.
You will find it next door to the TAG & Arcam areas.
On behalf of Paul Hayward, yes he has seen it many times and even calibrated it with Colorfacts.
The 668 is a good player but does not have the scaling facilities that the 868 has. It lacks a few other facilities as well such as i-link, HDMI colour adjustment and outputing component, composite and s-video at the same time as HDMI.
BTW we are in Horsham ( no connection with Nexnix ) which is about 10 miles SW of Gatwick.

Charles,

I have the Domino20 and cannot recommend it enough. I do not have the HDMI, I have got my Denon DVD-A1 hooked up via component (prog) and feed SKY via S-Video on the SKY+ box; this gives very good pictures free from conversion. Have a look at my WWW below for more info. I will try to put some pictures from SKY on the site.

Ian.

Hi Ian
Thanks for your reply.Had a look on your web site and was interested to see that the bulk of your viewing is now done with the projector. Have not seen Sky through a projector although on a regular TV the amount of compression can make Sky seem quite dire. The main terrestial channels on Sky seem the best performers.Sky movie channels often look "flat" Apparently they use digital VHS for their film transmissions.
What type of screen have you? Do you find the noise of the projector impedes on you enjoyment?
Charles

Hi Ian
Sorry asked the wrong question.What can you tell me about the Owl Screen?In Norfolk only one Home Cinema shop has heard of them.
Charles

Charles,

Trying doing a search on the forum, many people use OWL screens, I bought direct, but then my wife's business is in the trade :smashin: there must be someone listed who sells these screens.

Ian.

Charles, the Domino projectors are much quieter than the early Sim2 models like the HT200, 200DM and 200DMF.
This is owing to the smaller colour wheel and redesigned light engine.
You will not find the sound intrusive on movie soundtracks.
BTW we are agents for Owl screens.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom