• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sim card lock code

paulyb1983

Standard Member
i recently bought a ntt docomo japanese phone off a bloke iused to work with, its waterproof,has a 13.1mp camera has tv on demand with ariel but when i put my o2 micro sim in it says i need a sim card lock code does anyone know what it is or what to do?:lease:

Subtlebrick

Established Member
but when i put my o2 micro sim in it says i need a sim card lock code does anyone know what it is or what to do?:lease:

Apologies if I misunderstood your question, but I'm assuming you don't know what a sim locked handset is.
If you buy a handset ( On contract or Pay As You Go ) from a mobile service provider, like Orange or O2, they lock the phone to their network. This means that if you decide you want to use your phone on a different network, you will have to get it unlocked first. Your original network provider will supply this code ( At a price of course ) provided you are no longer tied to them with a contract.

From your description of the handset, I'm guessing it's aToshiba Regza T- 02D

Now. You may have bought a pig in a poke here, for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, I believe all pre 2011 Japanese handsets were 'hardware locked' to their networks. But, having said that, the model I have mentioned came out in 2012 and the fact that it's asking for a code is a good sign.

Secondly, I think Japan uses different mobile phone frequencies and protocols to the rest of the world. Meaning that if you manage to unlock it to O2 you may only have limited functionality ( No sms, mms or videocalls ) if any at all.

Of course, I may be wrong on all this. Everything I've said here comes from a quick search of the internet.
You stand a better chance of getting more help if you tell us the make and model number of the handset.
:)

[email protected]

Prominent Member
They can be unlocked (at least other docomo phones have been), but if I remember correct it has to be done by docomo themselves.

I have a sharp Aquos and it works fine with a UK microsim, with no apparent lack of features (clearly the features that require a docomo network will not work).

I added a new launcher to mine as the original was dreadful and full of Japanese docomo specific items.

If it was me I would return it to him, as its useless unless unlocked and without visiting a docomo store it'll probably never be unlocked.

Subtlebrick

Established Member
I have a sharp Aquos and it works fine with a UK microsim, with no apparent lack of features (clearly the features that require a docomo network will not work).

I think it depends on the handset. I had a quick poke about on Docomo's website. There's a chart of international roaming capability for their customers when travelling abroad ( Worldwide Wings ) showing different levels of functionality depending on which handset you have and where you're going.
It all looked a bit confusing, with some services being not just country, but city specific.
Very inscrutable.
:)

andrenasey

Established Member
TOKYO, JAPAN, March 11, 2011 --- NTT DOCOMO, INC. announced that customers may request to have the SIM lock capability removed in principle from any DOCOMO wireless device newly marketed on or after April 1, 2011.
To have SIM lock removed, the customer must take their device to any docomo Shop in Japan and sign a waiver acknowledging that certain services and features of the device and network might be disabled when another operator's SIM card is used.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom