1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim 20H - ScreenPlay 7205 comparison

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Davy, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Davy

Davy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi, I really love my home cinema set-up, but currently only use it through a 28" widescreen CRT TV, and I want to upgrade to a projector. The two that are in my budget are the Sim 20H and the ScreenPlay 7205, but which one? Thats the problem! I have seen both and thought them both to be superb. My dealer is pushing the ScreenPlay, but that might be because he has it in stock.

I have not seen them both side by side to make a better comparison. Does anyone having experienced either or both projectors have the time to let me know which they think is best. I usually watch films at night so the room is fairly black.

thanks

Davy

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Davy,

The 7205 is a 1280x720 projector whereas the Sim2 Domino 20H is 1024x576.

A better comparison would be the Domino 30H which has the same resolution as the 7205.

The Infocus is a brighter projector but the Sim2 has better blacks and would give you a superior picture in a light controlled room.

The Sim2 has the added advantage of powered zoom and focus and optical lens shift. (did I mention the 6000 hr lamp life ?)

Hope this helps

Jeff :rtfm:

3. Davy

Davy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Many thanks Jeff, especially for such a quick reply. Of course the Sim 30H is selling for around the five grand mark, whereas the 7205 has been dropped to 3 and a half and I guess that sort of money makes a difference (screen, high def player etc). That makes the choice more difficult - but that's part of the fun I suppose.

What does anyone else think of the Sim range? I definately want one thats HD ready and preferably without using adapters, or doesn't that make much difference.

Davy

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    I think Sim2 make one of the best range of pjs with excellent image processing and colour (they look nice too). They always seem ahead of the game and have excelent customer service. They do cost a bit more but you get what you pay for. :)

If £3500 is your limit, you may want to look at the H78 as well. RTFM has one on demo along with most (all?) of the Sim2 range, so you can get a good comparison while you're there.

Gary.

5. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Calling Jeff,

How about an opinion of the new H78 V 30H, is there a £1000 of difference in picture quality. Leaving the obvious bulb life aside.

What are the major differences?

Foghorn

6. chrislewis

chrislewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    HI mate i have a 7205 which i must say is amazing i think for the money cant be beat i brpought mine at £5000 and im still pleased so at £3500 a steal but it just so happens im been forced into down grading mine so if you want a even better bargain check out the classified in here its vertially new with very little use
    even if you opt for new im sure you wont be dissapointed and good luck which ever way you go
    cheers
    chris

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I have seen the 7205 as my father has one with a 9 foot screen. The picture is breath taking, great blacks, no rainbows that I have seen. He bough it at £5000 and it was a bargain then, for £3500 its a steal.

I have tried HD on this projector and again the resuts were excellent. Great sense of depth to the picture.

Go for the projector with the highest resolution (ie 1280x720) especially as HD is around the corner.

:)

8. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That would be the clincher for me too I have to say.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    One of the differences between the H78 and the Sim2 30H are an 8 segment colour wheel in the H78 whereas the Sim2 has a 6 segment colour wheel. I'm not convinced that 8 segments is necessarily better than 6, to be honest, but some do report less image noise in dark areas of an image with 8 segments. One by-product tends to be a dimmer image compared to a 6 segment wheel (less spokes means more light), but the H78 has improved the lumen output and I'll be interested to know how the two now compare in that regard.

I think the Sim and the IF have Faroudja scaling/deinterlacing so that should be better than the Optoma. If you're using an HTPC or an external scaler then it becomes a moot point. Sim2s image smoothness and colour acuracy has always been one of their strengths IMHO.

Excellent customer service from Sim2 including it's own forum here which can only be a good thing, whereas some have called Optomas customer service into question. MY own experience so far has been ecellent though.

Hopefully Jeff or Alan will jump in and add to the list.

As much as a higher resolution is good for hi-def, there are also other aspects of a projector such image processing, contrast and colour accuracy to take into account. I think that's why pjs such as the optoma H30a get such rave reviews despite only being 854 x 480. All else being equal, I think the only way to decide between two or more projectors is to try and get a demo though.

Gary.

10. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I happen to own and love the SIM2 30H, sourced from Jeff. Prior to this I demoed the 7200 at home as this is the slightly elder brother of the 7205 and I was offered it at a great price.

It had a great bright picture and was perfectly wathcable in daylight at home. Black level was excellent. Star Wars Ep 4 looked superb. Overall it had a very very good image that impressed. However, I did not buy it due to the awkward set up, though its description as a light canon is correct.

In the end I managed to stretch the budget to the SIM2 30H and I have never looked back. This is an amazing machine with PQ to die for. Highly filmic, with fab colour rendition, great contrast, HDMI, lens shift and a superb look and feel to the product. Testament to this is the fact that I have not even looked at another PJ since and probably never will....:)

A basic summary but I hope this helps.

Pete.

11. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
  12. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That Ebay deal seems fantastic, barely more than the older 7200 was going for when you could still get them.

Out of interest has anyone seen the new 7210 Screenplay in action as I was just curious how it compares to it's predecessors.

13. soulman18

soulman18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    The 7205 projector has a 72mm lens adaptor on the lens but the screw thread is set back. The lens edge is to long before the thread. Does any one know if you can get a extension and when from?
    Any Reponce

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

I was thinking the same, has it got a HD3 chip?

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    Yes, and a 7 segment colour wheel (dark green ND segment IIRC).

Gary.

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I havent seen th HD3 in action. The difference between the HD2 and HD2+ was noticable especialy with the whites. I have heard good press and bad press about HD2+ vs HD3, but I not witnessed it for myself.

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    There should be better light reflection for white and better absorption of stray light when not reflecting with the DC3 chip, hence the brighter image and darker blacks. I believe TI developed the DC3 DMD to be used with a dark green segment, but I've only heard this 3rd hand so I don't know if it's true. Sim2 still only use 6 segments in their colour wheel on their DC3 machine (300e), and still manage a very good image so that makes me wonder how necessary the extra segment is. The 300e is meant to be very bright too, which is probably helped by having less spokes (which is a time the DMD isn't normaly reflecting).

The Optoma H79 is apparently a much better machine than the H77, and the primary difference is the DC3 DMD, so it suggests it's noticable improvement over the DC2. I've only seen the Sim2 300e with the DC3 chip but I haven't seen the H79. The Sim looked quite good I have to say.

Gary.

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

The only Sim2 I have seen and disapointed with was the 55' rear pro, the pcture looked dark and muddy. Their front pros are highly rated :thumbsup:

19. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Sim2 RTX and Domino rear projection units can look every bit as good as their FP models if they are set up properly.

Jeff :rtfm:

20. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    Indeed.

The one I saw at Jeffs looked much better than any rear pro I'd seen up till that time (and since). No doubt down to Jeffs ability to set up these things. :)

Gary.

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

I saw it on the Sim2 stand at last years av show in hammersmith, so I would of thought it was correctly set up. It was the cheapest set out of their rear pro range. I ended up with this instead. :D

10' bigger and far better pic, only fault is the 60hz issue which I have a work around via a HTPC.

http://www.themescene.tv/ts/datasheet_dlptv.asp?SKU=630506

Heres a link fo a few pics. Please note that I am no wizz with a camera or at reducing these pics to fit the forums max limit for a pic attachment. They are just for fun :D

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178593&page=23&pp=15

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1635759&postcount=347

22. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
  23. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    £2300 with duty is still a good price!!! Way cheaper thsn in this country!

24. Davy

Davy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thank you to all those that replied to my request for advice on these two projectors. I think the message is clear - both pj's are good at what they do, but the overall decision is personal choice and of course the dreaded budget. What I really want is the Sim 30H at the 20H price - but don't we all!

Many thanks again

Davy