1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim 2 Domino 55M Owners - anyone got one?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DTech, Aug 11, 2005.

1. DTech

DTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone out there bought one of these. I am presently looking at upgrading from a 42inch plasma to one of these rear projection sets. Have read a couple of good reviews and seen a brief demo but would be interested to hear from anyone who's lived with one for some time. What's good - whats bad. Any comments appreciated.

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    DTech

I spent a few days helping Sim2 at Cedia Expo recently where we had the Domino 55M and the picture quality was excellent both from both DVD and HD material.

Bear in mind these are single chip DLP devices so make sure colour separation (rainbow effect) isn't an issue for you.

Jeff

3. DTech

DTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the feedback. The only issue I have seen is motion judder when there is a panning shot - this I am assuming is more down to the source rather than the screen itself.

4. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    DTech,

I have lived with the Sim2 Grand Cinema 55 H DLP rear-pro display that I bought from Jeff (RTFM) about 8 months ago. I'm very impressed with it. Apart from the occassional technical glitch, it is a stunning bit of kit. The picture is very 3 dimensional with great detail and depth. It makes even average transfers look decent - although at 55 inches it shows up any artifacts in the transfer. I find the rainbow effect hardly noticeable on this display and the motion is very smooth and lifelike. If you can stretch to this display I can recommend it and Jeff (RTFM) is very recommended as the guy to see about it. His service has been excellent as has Sim2's. I can't speak for the Domino 55 but it has got very good reviews like you said.

5. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    DTech,

Motion judder is often on the original material. How many times have you been to the cinema and had a hard time watching some camera panning shots because of the "skipping effect" as it's known in the film business.
    This effect is dependent on several factors: screen brightness, focal length of camera lens, camera speed and shutter opening.
    As a former camera operator I was very aware of this effect.
    As an example, if I was doing a 90 degree panning shot on a 50mm lens with the camera at normal speed ie. 24 fps then the pan should take 23 seconds to avoid this effect.

Jeff

6. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    That's very interesting. I didn't know that.
    Eitherway, I do find the Sim2 projectors I've seen much smoother than other projectors and MUCH better than plasmas etc.

7. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Another satisfied owner here. I've had the original RTX 55" for about a year, and preferred it over any plasma or LCD available at the time, not that some of these weren't very good, e.g. 50" Pioneer plasma fed via HDMI. Excellent with standard DVD material, even better with a video processor (for artifact reduction as per MJ's comments), and amazing with a HighDef feed.

What's good are both detail and black level; a well educated pair of eyes that saw my RTX said that it was like having the best parts of the best plasmas all in one, i.e. Pioneer detail with Panasonic blacks. The image is also very 'film-like' somehow, not over processed as you get from some screens.

The only negative is intermittent problems with the rainbow effect, which I never saw on demo. As a tip to see if you're sensitive to them, use a DVD with the THX set-up routines on them. There is one test chart that has a white circle against a black background that gives the most pronounced rainbow effect I've ever seen. If you have no issue with that you should be fine.

I did see the original Domino 55 when it first came out; the RTX probably had a slight edge but there was very little in it. My reason for going with the RTX was the lack of any digital input on the Domino, which is no longer an issue according to the specs on the 55M.

Paul

8. matthewcollins

matthewcollins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been undecided until now!

I have looked at all the best Plasmas and LCD s and as I was about to buy the new pioneer plasma I spotted this beauty.

Needless to say, It is being installed next Thursday!

:thumbsup:

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I visited a client a while back with a Grand Cinema RTX. An absolutely sublime image compared to the £2k-£3k mass produced RPTVs. Paul has hit the nail exactly on the head with his Pioneer detail, Panasonic contrast comment. As that is exactly what this screen delivers.

However, the reason I was visiting this client was to show a Lumagen. And boy did that work well, the Sim was very agreeable to simply running native aspect mode and perfectly pixel matched running default 720p timings. A quick spin with some test patterns and the result is an image I still have stuck in the back of my head now! It's comparable to a Panasonic 50" plasma with a Lumagen strapped in, but with there not being a big sheet of glass on the front of RPTV it is not spoiled by reflections whatsover. And to my eyes gave something that little bit more filmic than a plasma does. A highly recommended product.

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Forgot say though, the one big drawback of RPTV - off-axis viewing is a big no-no.

11. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That just has to be me, as it was your description that I used about the best parts of Pioneer and Panasonic! Unless you've got several customers called Paul, with an RTX and Vision HDP, who also steal your quotes ;)

Paul

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LOL!!! Yeah it's you, have you been keeping your Lumagen updated?? There's been some great stuff put in recently... Genlock is a huge upgrade, you need to activate it in the IN menu (per input) to use it though!

13. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Liam,

I've left it well alone; it's not broken, so doesn't need fixing...trouble is you've started me thinking now, so who knows.

I'll probably be in touch in the new year to get the whole thing calibrated anyway, so that's probably the time to tweak with it.

Also, re. the earlier posts on reflections and off-axis viewing. The RTX can reflect if you don't take care with lighting. Mine is positioned so that it has no direct window light falling onto it, which makes a big difference.

I also find the off-axis viewing not too bad horizontally, but it drops off quickly vertically. It is a large screen in a medium size room, however, so it's hard to get too far off-axis (30-45 degrees at a guess). I usually watch about 30 degrees off-axis, and that is no problem.

Matthew, welcome to the club, I hope you enjoy your new screen. Let us know how you get on with it.

Paul

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If you had lived with a Panasonic plasma you would know what I mean about reflection!!

I do really think you should upgrade your Lumagen though. Download the latest firmware then:

1 - connect up the RS232 cable and run the firmware application

2 - disconnect the mains from the Lumagen, then reconnect.

3 - within ten seconds of reconnecting click START on the firmware app

4 - confirm PROHDP and let it do it's stuff

Will take about 3 minutes or so, when complete the settings will all be the same but the picture will be better!! Navigate using the Lumagen remote to IN > CONFIG then the bottom option (can't remember what it's called) then GENLOCK > ON. All-in-all should take you about ten minutes. Ten minutes for a free upgrade in PQ, you'd be mad not to.....

15. rob13a

rob13a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DTech
    I have had the 55m for 10 days, the picture is awesome with a good feed from dvd or high def from pc, but not so good with ntl cable but I intend to switch to highdef when sky launch.
    I spent 10 months researching and test driving different screens.Eventually I managed to directly compare the pioneer pdp505xde which was my other possible choice side by side with the 55m.That sold it to me, Fantastic.

Rob.

16. DTech

DTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Rob

What is your experience of off axis viewing and also how does it perform on a day to day basis when there is ambient light in the room. The only thing that puts me off is the day to day useability of it compared to a plasma which you can pretty much watch under most conditions as long as you don't have daylight flooding onto the screen.

DTech

17. rob13a

rob13a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTech

I`ve just been trying different viewing positions and I would say you get approx 110 Degrees of good horizontal viewing and 60 Degrees of good vertical viewing.
    As for viewability in strong ambient light I would say it performs exactly as my sony trinitron crt.

Rob.