• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Silverstone GD06 & mATX ok for Gaming PC?

j17ypr

Standard Member
Hi all

Starting to look at building myself a new gaming & HTPC, but its been a few years since I last did it & i'm a bit out of the loop now!

I've always fancied doing one in a HTPC case, and am wondering if building one with a mATX board and housing it inside a Silverstone GD06 case would be suitable? Would the case keep everything cool enough? Would a mATX board give me enough performance?

Not really decided on the spec yet, but will be something like an i5/i7, a single GTX 670 or 680, no overclocking. Gaming at 1920 x 1080 with some 3d as well. I've had my last build for 5 years, which is still doing pretty well, so would like something again which will last me a while.

Many thanks for any advice

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Motherboard form factor won't have an effect on performance, you'll just be limited to 2-way SLI crossfire rather than 3 which isn't going to bother most people.

The case appears to be full size mATX (same as a midi tower) and comes with three 120mm fans so unless any particular problems are identified in reviews a single 670/680 should be no problem.

bryanchicken

I had a GD06 and fitted an ATI 6870 in it. It has 4x120mm fans so cooling shouldn't be a problem. The ones supplied aren't particularly quiet though.

The power connectors for the 6870 are on the top. With the bulk of the plugs it actually made it difficult to get the top on. It went on, but things were being pushed down. I would check both the height and the depth of the graphics card and where the connectors are.

Another tip, i got a Antec TruePower 650W Modular PSU and the fit was VERY tight with the HDD cage, depth wise. So something that is a little shorter would be a bit better.

j17ypr

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies. My build is pretty simple so missing out on overclocking & multi gfx card configs doesnt really bother me.

Cheers for the tips re connectors & sizes, will check those before buying!

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom