1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silver Or Black? well...............

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mikeall, Jan 7, 2003.

1. mikeall

mikeall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now i have a black 42 panny and love it to bits, now someone pointed out to me, that the silver ones stand out to much when you watch a film ect on it.

so try this, look at any black tv or plasma and watch the program on it and even though you can see the black frame out of the side of your eyes its no problem, but do the same to a silver tv or plasma and it does not take much to see the frame and it seems to over power your eyes while watching the program, even worst in the dark, while the black is fine

cheers
    mike

:rolleyes:

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I found this occurred with my Wega TV set, hence I got the dark framed Panasonic plasma. You only notice it when watching in darkened conditions, which I do all the time for DVDs.

3. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have to admit I have thought the same thing myself. I havn't taken the plunge to plasma yet and have the silver framed Phillips 36" CRT. And I have to admit when I bought it I was constantly aware of the silver frame in dull lighting. I must admit tho there is 3" all round the Phillips! unlike only an inch (ish) on a plasma.

4. hawkeye

hawkeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a 42" panny in silver. havent noticed the frame in the dark, but maybe i'll start looking now somebody's mentioned it !

5. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All,

I'm sorry but the above is my honest assesment of this (non) issue.

IMHO there are enough genuine issues that need to be considered when deciding upon the right screen without inventing new ones! :rolleyes:

Either of the frame colours are fine, I've had panels in both finishes and can only say that in a darkened room BOTH colours "disappear" and are not noticable.

IMHO (again,) if the films I was watching were "SO BAD" that I started to look at the frame on the panel, I'd switch it off and go play scrabble or something! :p

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    well said that man!

7. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the sort of thing that can impinge upon one's awareness through peripheral vision, regardless of the quality of the material being watched. Some may be more susceptible than others.

Given that Panasonic, for example, produces both silver- and black-bezeled machines, there is thus another factor for potential buyers to consider. The difference in price between Panasonic’s two current plasmas is significant (at least it was when I bought mine) and for many I suspect this outweighs the bezel colour. If the prices were the same, though, then clearly more thought would be required.

Joe Fernand advised me that a black surround was preferable from a “viewing” point of view. I prefer black anyway; it was also considerably cheaper than the silver version. Ergo, no brainer!

BTW, I think he was right.

8. MichaelJP

MichaelJP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's a major issues but you're right - certainly I've always preferred black for all my AV stuff, especially screen surrounds.

The silver colour of most TVs and plasmas now is purely a fashion thing.

- MichaelJP

9. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder or is it Horses for courses
    Now I have seen a black bezel beside a silver bezel screen, and for me the silver looks better.
    Just a personal thing I think:D

10. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have a silver toshiba one of the reasons i went for silver is i think it blends in to the background more in my eyes

11. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D

12. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    This is not a non-issue, though I think it may be with plasmas. My Wega TV has quite a deep rim from the silver plastic to the screen, so when you watch it in the dark this gets 'lit' by the picture and gives you am annoying silver halo around the whole picture.

On my Panny plasma there is no real depth to the bezel so I don't think it would be a problem, but it's pretty dismissive to assume this isn't an issue when you haven't seen it for yourself. Most people can't hear their panels buzzing, don't see motion issues, aren't bothered by 2:3 pulldown. On the Wega it was a design flaw which put form before function...

13. mikeall

mikeall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its interesting to see how every one is different, i was in Dixons in cardiff last week and they have about 10 plasmas on show and about 50 tv's all where silver bar 3! when i pointed it out to the sales chap he agreed

i do have all silver dvd,vid and sky but it no near the plasma and so i dont worry about it

i suppose if you have a silver one, and it now bothers you, you can always spray it black!!

cheers

mike

14. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Carl,

Looks like were crossing swords again :rolleyes:

I repeat my assertion that this really IS a non-issue. :devil:

You even say as much yourself with regards to plasma's, and seeing as how this thread is on the "Plasma and LCD displays" forum, I thought this was what we were talking about?

TV's are another issue altogether for the reasons that you highlighted. They are not what I was refering to.

Was your "It's pretty dismissive to assume this isn't an issue when you haven't seen it for yourself" comment directed my way?
    If it was, I'd like to know how I could be any "more qualified" to make my statement after having lived with both frame colours in my own home?

In fact, this is SUCH a non-issue I'm not even gonna spend any more time on this reply. (Must be my shortest post ever!) ;)

I just hope the rest of you all got SCRABBLE for xmas! :D

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

15. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If you,ve got the dosh then the solution is the new Sony Wega KE plasma range which have a glass (invisible) bezel !

16. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    KBDVD,

I don't think we could cross swords on this one. All I was saying is that it's not an issue on a Panny plasma but it is on my Wega TV. However, just because it's not an issue on my plasma doesn't mean that there anren't plasmas out there with deeper bezels where it may cause a problem.

I don't know, I was just highlighting that I *have* seen a silver frame cause a problem when watching *a TV*

17. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personal preference..

What an issue is for one, isn't for someone else..

I think I may spray mine lime-green when I get one.