Silver faces on DMR-ES20D

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by crowncd, Mar 8, 2006.

1. crowncd

crowncd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,

Had the Panasonic for a week now but with the last recording (LP mode) people's faces had a distinct silver sheen to them. It really was very distracting! Recordings in SP and EP have been fine colour wise although we found EP to be a bit 'blocky'.
    We're using Panasonic DVD RAM discs which have been formated.
    Has anyone experienced a similar problem or can throw any light on the matter?

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Sounds like its a result of the relatively low bitrate used on LP. If the source is also a bit iffy then you will see artefacts. Also rapid movement will cause problems as the bitrate reduces.

Its not a problem with the Panny per se - generally they are amongst the best and the discs likewise. You'll just have to use the highest setting possible if you want to minimise the artefacts.

3. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I had a very similar problem with mine when first installed until I realised that I was using 1 aerial to split to a Freeview receiver in my office and to the ES20D (not loop through). Therefore the signal was being degraded somewhat. Once I had turned off the Freeview receiver the problem went away. So now I cannot have both on at the same time but thats no problem.

4. crowncd

crowncd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks for the replies.

My ariel is plugged into the Panny and then to a Toshiba 32WLT58 so that shouldn't be the source of the problem. I'm using new Panny RAM disks which all formated OK and the machine is only a couple of weeks old. SP was fine and in EP the colours were fine but the picture was a little blocky/blurred as one would expect.

The programme which gave us the problem was 'Dalziel & Pascoe' recorded on Tuesday night. The faces looked like Data out of 'Star Trek'.

We'll keep trying!