Silver eletrical sockets and switches - best place to buy

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

We have had the hall/stairs/landing decorated and want to switch the plastic sockets/switched for silver/metal types.

I can shop around, but wondering if any one knows where best to get them cheap(er)?

Ebay sellers? Online? Trade counters?

Thanks

Matt

mattrixdesign2 said:
Hi

We have had the hall/stairs/landing decorated and want to switch the plastic sockets/switched for silver/metal types.

I can shop around, but wondering if any one knows where best to get them cheap(er)?

Ebay sellers? Online? Trade counters?

Thanks

Matt

Matt, you get what you pay for. Stick to known retailers.no point In changing them 1 year later when they fail.

i certainly wouldnt trust ebay for my leccy sockets unless you know the brand. but even then it might be snide.

I second screw fix, got boxes of them, still yet to fet most as just no time. all have good reviews and many are made in same factories.

wickes, skrewfix toolstaion. all on par. unless you want to start going branded. i can understand with fuse boxes etc but switches are reasonable from these places.

annoyingly my back boxes are too shallow for the faceplate ones. unfortunately some of my existing cabling isnt long enough to reach the new points on the new sockets so i need to extend them somehow.

Matt, you get what you pay for. Stick to known retailers.no point In changing them 1 year later when they fail.

Fair point, I will look at Screwfix. The last batch I bought were from B&Q, they were packed in 5s and in "Special Offer" I wish I bought several packs now.

screw fix constantly do boxes of 5 or 10's on offer.

we needed so many on our refurb in the kitchen for fused, mains, sockets and switches.
worked out much cheaper than selco.

i have a local sparky supplier just down the road. i was honest with me and said i could buy better brands like MK, volex etc paying nearly 40% in price but thats where i found out that the different brands not all but groups of brands are made in the same factory. cant remeber which but i did some homework on my fuse box (consumer units)

the same rule applies for switches. some just identicle and the finish just uses s lighthly lesser cost on the metal face plates.

as long as i invest in the fuse box then with switches dont go dirt cheap but dont over spend. was a really good guy as i bought all my cables from him as all cut to length.

seriously just check online. as its its only a few quid per unit i bought an extra box of 5 or 10, cant remeber as spaers. in case they get messed up whilst im still doing finishing touches.

the one you have now (white plastic) nothing special right, so you dont need something at silly price. hence the screwfix deal at the time had stock of everything i needed in one visit. all in the chrome finish.

its when you get to a point when refurb/diy that you one eact visit to the diy store to count.

I did all mine in chrome a while ago. Decided chrome is now old hat so changed to white flat plate with chrome switches.

Screwfix and Toolstation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom