1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silver Detail or Gold Detail?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by lightningvictim, Oct 13, 2004.

1. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Is there any significance to the colour of the detail on the black DVD Trilogy box. Was on holiday last week and while out shopping I noticed that HMV were selling both side by side but they had exactly the same writing and inserts.
    Is there any reason for this? - is the Gold a limited print? as most other shops only seem to sell the silver detail...

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,899
    The gold set is only available from HMV as it is an Exclusive, there is no difference at all between it and the standard silver set except the colour and to be honest I prefer the silver set.

In the US they have a Silver set and a Gold set, the Silver set contains Widescreen versions of the films where as the Gold set contains Fullscreen versions of the films but why anyone would want the Star Wars films in Fullscreen is beyond me, even if I had a Fullscreen TV I would prefer to have them in Widescreen.

3. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yes when the special editions came out on vhs gold was 4:3 ratio and silver was widescreen. Not sure how they've done it now.

4. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +493
    This has been discussed on other threads. But to reconfirm, gold box exclusive to HMV but most people prefer the silver, and yes I agree, why anyone would want the full frame version of these sci-fi classics even in America is beyond me, and probably many others as well. I believe HMV are selling both silver and gold box versions at £34.99, and they have loads in stock the last time I was in there. I wonder why!!!!