• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Silver Anniversary Biwire

Rolo Tomasi

Established Member
Could any fellow users of this cable comment upon it's bass response?

I've recently switched to it from Cable Talk 3.1 biwire and relocated the speakers (MA GR20's) and the bass seems to have gone missing. I'm trying to sort out whether it's the cables or the new location.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Rolo Tomasi said:

I've recently switched to it from Cable Talk 3.1 biwire and relocated the speakers (MA GR20's) and the bass seems to have gone missing. I'm trying to sort out whether it's the cables or the new location.

Not a cable issue, probably down to the room and re positioning

Rolo Tomasi

Established Member
Hi Nic,

Would the fact that the cable lengths are 8.5 and 12m make a difference to your answer?

juniper

Established Member
Rolo Tomasi said:

I use SA biwire too, and its bass response is excellent, my longest run is about 6m, but no difference (to my ears at least) between that and the other run of around 2m.

Repton

Established Member
Rolo Tomasi said:

definately a relocation issue. I also have silver aniversay bi-wires and have no problems with lack of bass. I have mine at equal 1.5m lengths for the fronts and with XT400 for centre.

Knightshade

Established Member
Rolo Tomasi said:

Sounds much more like a location issue rather than a wire issue. When you say re location do you mean new room or just moved around the room?

Rolo Tomasi

Established Member
Knightshade said:
Sounds much more like a location issue rather than a wire issue. When you say re location do you mean new room or just moved around the room?

Moved around the same room. Previously they were approx 1.8m apart firing across the room 3.7m. Now they are at the end of the room 2.7m apart firing down a room length of 5.6m.

I managed to get a better stereo effect (centralise the vocals) last night but the sound still doesn't seem as 'full bodied' as it did previously, especially in the bass department.

Knightshade

Established Member
Sounds obvious I know but have you tried them closer to the walls?
How far away are you from the speakers? I'm assuming your further away than you were.

Rolo Tomasi

Established Member
Knightshade said:
Sounds obvious I know but have you tried them closer to the walls?
How far away are you from the speakers? I'm assuming your further away than you were.

To your first point; yes, closer and further away.

To the second point, I now sit approx 2.7m from each speaker to make up the standard triangular layout. This is further than I used to be.

I guess it is a positioning thing. Probably firing down the length of the room has done it, rather than across.

Rolo Tomasi

Established Member
More tweaking last night. Got the soundstage sorted i.e. vocals centred BUT noticed that the bass/lower mid-range had returned at a level just above my seating height. In other words, the sound is close to what I had been used to up until I sit down (tweaters at ear height)!

Front speakers are level at the moment. I may try tilting them down at the front to see if it makes any difference.

Any other ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom