1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly Xbox question from HDTV newb

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Destyn, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Destyn

Destyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a cheap HDTV coming tomorrow, which has 100Hz mode on it (Panny TX32PM11C). I got it in the hope it would help cure my photosensitive seizures that I get when playing some games. Anyhow, I gather from research that Xbox in the UK don't support 100Hz mode. One way round this I gather is to chip the box and convert to NTSC - I have a chipped box already in the bedroom but don't want to replace my existing one in the living room (Crystal PAL box).

So what I'm getting at is, is there a separate converter box available to up-shift my screen res from 60Hz to 100Hz? I doubt this very much but it's worth a go ;) TIA!

2. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Most (all?) 100Hz TVs take a standard 50Hz input signal and double-scan it (or whatever the technique is called). Generally, you give it a standard PAL 50 signal (i.e. in interlaced 575i 50Hz image - not Pal60) and the telly does the rest to give 100Hz vertical refresh rate.

Which means that if you disable Pal60 in your xbox dash and just play, it should be OK.

The fact that it's a high-def TV confuses me a bit - someone else might be able to shed more light on it, but I think HDTV signals are 60 Hz, but I could be wrong. In that case I don't know what the telly would do with them.

My advice is to just plug the xbox in, check pal60 is disabled, and have a look. It should be pretty obvious if it's running in 100Hz mode

3. Destyn

Destyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great, thanks for shedding light on that! It really should have been obvious to me but I didn't want to open my mouth and look a fool ;) I don't know too much about the HDTV functionality of the PM11 but it definitely does 100Hz mode, which should stop me feeling sick :D

Thanks again!

4. daveymacca

daveymacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Think you're getting a little confused here. A 100Hz TV doesn't mean it's HDTV. If this model also supports progressive scan 480p it means it's a HDTV set.

PAL Xbox's support 100hz TV's (Apart from Lightgun games) as 100hz is simply a line doubling feature on your TV which will works with or without PAL60 being displayed or not.

IMO The only difference a 100hz set has over a 50hz set is it makes games flicker a little less but the image doesn't appear as sharp, so if you've bought it as some sort of cure to stop you feeling sick you may be disappointed.

If you turn the PAL60 option off you actually increase flicker in supported games so you could well feel even more sick.

Now if your TV does support 480p that's a different matter, this mode is awesome on an Xbox and I suggest you get the relevant gear.You're right in saying PAL Xbox's don't support 480p so you'll need a modded or NTSC Xbox,a high definition video pak (get Microsoft's it's by far the best) and some app which will switch your modded dashboard's Videomode. The high def kit needs to be connected through component leads to access 480p.

5. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As far as I can tell from the specs of your tv it is a 100hz tv and does not support progressive scan and HDTV resolutions.

The Xbox will output a variety of HDTV resolutions, the most common being 480p, which is a progressive scan resolution which according to the panny site the PM11C does not support. Also NTSC xbox's only output HDTV via its component connection, which accoriding to the panny site your TV doesn't support either. Which means that you don't need to chip the xbox, just connect it up with an RGB scart which will return the best quality picture you can currently get.

In regards to the 100hz issue, this is all worked out inside the television to produce the 100hz signal on screen using some complex technical wizardy...perhaps. Either way I'd leave your xbox set to pal60 to get the best picture and depending on your tv you will either get a 100hz picture or as with my tv a 120hz picture.

The 100hz did help with my headaches that I used to get so I hope it helps you with your siezures.

6. Destyn

Destyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, the site I bought it from listed it as HDTV! Never mind, you live and learn eh :D Still, the medical sites do all say a 100Hz will fix the issue, so I guess I've nothing to lose :cool:

7. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Where did you get it from? If they have miss advertised it then you could send it back and buy a 'proper' hdtv.

8. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    No. Not HDTV. Looks nice though and does have 100hz :)

76cm/32'' 16:9 Widescreen TV
    Quintrix Flat Picture Tube
    100hz Super Digital Scan
    Fastext 250 Page Text
    New Viewing Mode, Sharpness Control, Colour/Luminance Transient Improver
    NICAM
    20W Total (RMS)
    QLINK, Easy Programme Access, Child Lock, Off Timer
    S-Video In (front), Headphone Terminal (front)
    2 SCART Terminals
    Weight 66Kg
    Colour: Silver