silly thought

buns

Ex Member
Reaction score
Its late on a saturday night, so its silly idea time!

With regards to some variety of monitor or screen. A 17" lcd is £500 ish......so, is there any good reason why you couldnt get yourself one of those cheap 2nd hand lcd projectors, at the same sort of money, and use it to project yourself a 40 inch display?

Difficulties i can think of being the bulb lifetime (though some are really quite long), noise......well i cant think of any others!

I suddenly have plans for a second projection system!

any contributions?

thanks

ad

Actually buns, I think you've gone full circle :rolleyes:

If you remember, the initial use for non-commercial projectors was connected to PCs - usually with some tedious spreadsheet graphic Zzzzzzzz ;)

A couple of issues are llight control, if you're using it in the day, you'll need a bright PJ and make sure any old models can cope with "high" resolutions and rates, like 800x600 e.t.c.

It is kinda full circle isnt it! Just it sounds a very promising idea!

I think it would need to be bright as you say, but not 'that' bright, after all the picture is going to be really quite small and projector thus close to the screen meaning a brighter picture (i assume).

I feel that I wouldn't want a big big screen, the thought of a 7 foot screen for general pc use doesnt appeal, but i do think that a plasma panel is about a nice size, but since i cant afford one, this seems the best other option!

ad

if it was me looing for somthing for general computing i would be looking at the good old crt monitor .

the biggest drawback of a second had lcd is resolution . it sounds very good having a 40 inch monitor but if it ment being stuck with 800x600 i would rather have a 17 incher

800x600 is all fine and dandy with video but have you tryed surfing the net in that res of late it's very nasty . if i had around 500 quid to spend i would much rather go for somthing like a 22 inch iyama and get 1800 x 1440 @ 75Hz:D

Actually i ony ever surf at 800x600 as thats what this vid card max's out at......but im going to assume it does make a big difference!

I wouldnt have fancied anything lower than xga anyhow. Just to illustrate. Check ebay. Mitsubishi X-200 which is a slightly older model, but reasonably good and bright and its xga, iinfocus lp580 just sold for £310......

I know its not an ideal situation......but its a big screen for little money and is actually a nice space saver! Those big 21inch direct view are monsters!

ad

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom