Silly questions?

crippy21

Standard Member
Im going to buy a wireless router which i`ve never done before but have a couple of questions before i do so.

i have 4mb VM cable broadband and am a bit confused about wireless speeds. Say a router states upto 54kbps or 108 kbps i take it this means this is the max speed from wireless? i intend on having my pc and PS3 wired into the router, does this mean because im hardwired in i will get the full 4mb im paying for?

Also, would i need to turn the pc on for the ps3 to work online because i know of set ups before where a 2nd device would only work when the main pc would be connected?

thanks for your help

N

nburg01

i have 4mb VM cable broadband and am a bit confused about wireless speeds. Say a router states upto 54kbps or 108 kbps i take it this means this is the max speed from wireless? i intend on having my pc and PS3 wired into the router, does this mean because im hardwired in i will get the full 4mb im paying for?

Routers aren't 54kbps/108kbps but 54mbps/108mbps, you have your K's and M's mixed up! In other words the router's wireless speed is much faster than your 4Mbps broadband speed, so you can rest assured your PC and PS3 will easily get the full 4mbps broadband speed.

Also, would i need to turn the pc on for the ps3 to work online because i know of set ups before where a 2nd device would only work when the main pc would be connected?

This is only when using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), which in this day and age is hardly ever used as everyone uses a router now for internet sharing. So your PC definitely does not need to be switched on for your PS3 to work online, only the router.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The wireless speeds are the maximum theoretical speeds - you won't get them in practice so if conditions are particulaly bad or you're on the extreme edge of the range it's possible you won't get the full broadband speed to that computer.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom