1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly question.....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stonedog, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Stonedog

Stonedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok a real noob question))))

is the sound quality affected from a speaker if the speaker wire connected to it is not one piece? but is instead 2 pieces joined together?

ive buried some speaker wire in the wall but now decided (read that as THE WIFE has decided) to move the speaker slightly thus i could do with a couple feet more give on the cable..........
    its a front speaker from the KEF 5005 set for my home cinema if that makes a difference)

thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The purists would suggest that joining speaker cable isn't a good idea but whether or not us ordinary mortals could hear the difference is another matter.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've certainly never noticed a difference. Ideally connect the 2 ends together and then seal them with electrical tape or some heatshrink tubing with the adhesive on the inside.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Solder the connection so it cannot corrode due to humidity or sweat transferred from your hands.
    Use some heatshrink or tape to cover the connection (but remember to put the heatshrink before soldering!).