1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly Question:Will an Amplifier Connect to.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by butch9850, Nov 24, 2004.

1. butch9850

butch9850

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Cyberhome 402 dvd player.It is cheapy.
    It does not have built in decoders...Only ac3/dts output.

Is ac3/dts output,meaning it can be connected to an amplifier??
    How does it work?.

What is the difference between a dvd player with built in decoders...and one without one?...

Do you need built in decoders???.Would i be better off upgrading my dvd player?.

I don't mind as long as my amplifier and speakers...work well,and deliver great sound.Thinking of the aego P5 system right now.

2. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    No your dvd player does not have to decode AC3 or DTS, thats the job of the decoder/amplifier.

Just connect the player to the amp with a digital connection, optical or coax and let the amp do the rest.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

3. butch9850

butch9850

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I am curious,would a sub sat package,such as the aego 2,with built in amplification connect to dvd player,no problem?.

Or,is it only standalone amplifiers,that will work.

I plan to use a projector,with the dvd player..So i might as well upgrade to a progressive scan dvd player,perhaps..
    Is that feasible?.

Expensive dvd players,are they really worth it?In the overall picture of things,an av system?.

4. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The Aego2 sub/sat system, by itself, is an active speaker system but cannot be connected to the digital output of a DVD player.

For this you need the AegoP5 (or some other) decoder/pre-amp unit. Do you just have the speaker only system, or did you get the comlete system with decoder:

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/products/aego/aegoloudspeakers.html

If you don't have the decoder, you will need an AV amp or processor to decode the digital signal and give you control over levels, etc.

Even if you have a DVD player with built-in decoder, I think you will still need an AV amp to give you level control unless ou don't mind walking up to the sub to use the control on that.

5. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Butch,

the P5 system you mentioned could certainly take the digital input from your player, the Aego 2 system will not.

Not familiar with your current player but if you are seriously thinking about a projector then I would can only recommend you look at a better player that will output ca good omponent signal. The basic Tosh and Pioneer range are worth looking at and can be found for 80 - 120 quid.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

6. butch9850

butch9850

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah,a better dvd player is on my shopping list..

People are saying,that built in decoders do not even make a difference,to a dvd player.The amplifier does all the work,so i believe..And Is worth it.
    Seperates are always better,as they say.

The aego 2 was a choice,because i was thinking of an ONLY stereo sound system.I guess I will go against the idea,and look for surround sound.
    And the aego p5 seems to have everything.

iS THE aego p5 amplifier,powerful compared to standalones,by the way??.

7. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Difficult to say without listening to it and comparing it agaisnt other demos. As always in this environment try and find a dealer where you can actually listen to it and compare to other units before parting with your cash.

KH