Silly question time - AV9+P7

Damian1978

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My AVR350 has gone belly up. Needs to be returned next week to be looked at and is under guarantee but lost some faith in it.

Noticed that the AV9+P7's are going out quite cheaply (well within reason) and was wondering how much of a step up it is from the AVR350?

I'm more of a music man to films but have hundreds of DVDs and quite a few HD movies too.

How does the combo work exactly? I take it the power amp is on full power all the time and the pre-amp provides the volume?

How do you bi-wire the fronts on the P7? I won't be using the surround back speakers so want an option like the AVR350 offered.

Do you just use the Left Out of the P7 to the In of the LSB???

If so.....I'm gonna need a loooooooad of new cables!

Hi,

My AVR350 has gone belly up. Needs to be returned next week to be looked at and is under guarantee but lost some faith in it.

Noticed that the AV9+P7's are going out quite cheaply (well within reason) and was wondering how much of a step up it is from the AVR350?

I'm more of a music man to films but have hundreds of DVDs and quite a few HD movies too.

How does the combo work exactly? I take it the power amp is on full power all the time and the pre-amp provides the volume?

How do you bi-wire the fronts on the P7? I won't be using the surround back speakers so want an option like the AVR350 offered.

Hi as i mentioned on another thread the av9/p7 pairing will be a signficant improvement across all digital(not hdmi audio) and analog devices.

Here comes the bad news. You need an analog cable from each channel of the av9 to the audio input on the p7(or 4 pairs of interconnects:eek:)and there is more as you want to bi/amp the fronts.

If you download both user manuals all will become clear and will probably make more sense than i do:D. Just be prepared to shell out on some interconnects.:)
The thread on av9 which cables? has some opinions regarding what works with differing spkr combinations also let me know what the dealer is prepared to offer:)

Hmmmmm....well I thinking of financing it which won't cost too much and either f;og the fixed (if fixable) AVR350 or part ex it but the dealer doing the AVP9/P7 offer ain't the same.

May cost a ££££ for cables. Use Dalkey Audio ones in mine. Custom made silver ones. Hmmm. May enquire with the seller about making some short run ones for my needs and the amp may need to go on top of my rack due to height. Guess that's better for heat purposes but will look a tad weird.

Whats great about he av9/p7 is, other than no hd audio(denon 3800 ,sony 5000es etc fixes that) i have not seen a negative thread regarding its audio prowess.:)

The p7 is a heavy beast at 31kilos and takes up kit rack space at 180mm high and 460mm deep:D. Sounds like you are making the leap then.

Let me know when you recieve it to tell me what you think.:)

Last edited:
Woooooahh! Not so fast.

Have to sort the return of the 350 first. Dreading disconnecting that but it's so weird sat here with no music. Using my PC/Recording setup (which sounds really good I guess) but not the same and I figured I can't afford to move out on my own just yet so SOD IT I may as well get some sublime kit that should last me a bit!

Will see. I can't see my dealer saying no to a deal.

Woooooahh! Not so fast.

Have to sort the return of the 350 first. Dreading disconnecting that but it's so weird sat here with no music. Using my PC/Recording setup (which sounds really good I guess) but not the same and I figured I can't afford to move out on my own just yet so SOD IT I may as well get some sublime kit that should last me a bit!

Will see. I can't see my dealer saying no to a deal.

Yeah it might be better to sell the repaired avr 350(cant imagine they will have issues fixing or replacing even better:)) and seek some of the deals on the av9/p7 although looking this mornin the bargain prices are almost all gone for now so be quick and anyway why move out as its debt all the way as soon as you do:D Im kidding but it takes me way longer to save when mortgage, council tax,new furniture etc comes first. You splash out while you can and have fun.:)

Hi,

Just to let you know : I went up from the AVP700 to te AV9 and it was a hell of an improvement. Nothing to be compared. The AV9 did the job in a much more relaxed way. Seems like it's always saying : "Just send the signal and let me do the rest ; I can handle it" where, sometimes, the AVP700 clearly could not handle the signal that way and seemed to be "stressed".
So I guess the improvement from the AVR350 will be more than huge, especially since you'll also upgrade the power amps (I did not when moving from the AVP700 to the AV9) which are, to my ears, the weak point of the AVR350.

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom