Silly Question - RF Aerial and Integrated Freeview

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by .hack, Sep 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I've only bothered plugging in the basic RF connector that comes from the aerial on the roof previously. I don't know anything about how to improve the aerial quality and if what I have is good enough, all I know is that RF is the worst possible quality you can get.

I have a Panny LXD70 coming on the 15th. This has integrated freeview and the talk of digital aerials is confusing me, someone who's never truly bothered looking at improving the quality of integrated freeview. What would I need to buy (outside of another freeview box and connecting it via RGB, which would be silly) to get more out of the picture?

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Yes a very silly question. RF does not have to be the worse picture, it is people with bad installations that give a bad picture.
    Just plug in your TV to the aerial and tune in thats it. With Freeview it is digital so it will either work very good (that means your aerial is OK) or you will get a picture that keeps digitising or no picture at all (Off to buy a new aerial and possibly a masthead amp).
    Aerials and masthead amps are not expensive.

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Digital TV via RF into a digitla tuner isn't necessarily poor quality at all.
    Don't confuse that with sending video yourself at RF via a videosender or modulator (including aerial output of VCRs).
    For info on Freeview aerials and the like look at the dedicated Freeview section of these forums.
    Incidentally "digital aerial" is a marketing term; the mechanism required by the antenna is the same for all UHF signals - reception of a carrier (whether the video information on it is digital or analogue).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    There is really no such thing as a digital aerial. Is is just marketing balony. Digital aerials tend to just wideband aerials that pick more of a signal which are good for weak to good reception areas. A wide/high gain aerial can be picked up for around £20. I have mine in my loft with a aerial coming down the wall.

Just connect a decent aerial to it and start watching. It is usually required to point the aerial in the direction of the Transmitter to get best reception.

I have Freeview reception on a TV with just one of those cheap loop wire aerials. I do have to twist the aerial round to get better reception on different channels though.

5. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Ah, I see... This works the same as HDMI cables; they ever work or they don't. Now I feel even more stupid for asking this.

Will have a look at the freeview section. :)

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Basically, if the aerial can't get enough reception, the picture may go blank or it freezes/pixelates. Sometimes, the tuner will also not pick up the stations when tuning in.