1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silly question. keep answers free of jargon

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by desade, Feb 14, 2001.

1. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is seems silly, but what exactly is a bipole speaker. I know it has two "speaker" bits and disperses the sound a bit more, but is there any tricks to wiring them up? I am about to upgrade...

I have seen pictures of wire with four strands instead of two. Are these neccessary and why?

I am not joking. I am not a very technical person so please keep answers simple. Make fun if you wish.

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No, no tricks at all. Just wire them up as usual. I have Mission 77ds surrounds which are bipole and have just on set of speaker terminals on the back. Speakers that need 4 wires are known as bi-wired, where the tweeters and woofers are fed the sound signal separately. These would have 4 terminals on the back, one for each wire.
    The speakers you're talking about aren't biwired bipoles are they? In which case they would need 4 wires.

------------------
    Don't be a don't be.......Be a do be!
    HomePage - http://gofree.indigo.ie/~deveney

3. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't HAVE to bi-wire speakers which are biwireble. You may chose not to because it doubles the cost of speaker cable.
    Generally it is believed to improve the sound, though the 2 wires for black are joined together and fed into the one black terminal of the amp - and the same for the wires for red into the red terminal.
    Bi-wiring seems illogical to me and I'd not be able to tell the difference anyway.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The drivers (the speaker in a speaker box) of a bipole speaker fire in different directions but in phase to diffuse the sound as opposed to dipoles which fire in different directions out of phase (ie 180 degree) - that means while one driver pushes the other one retracts.
    Dipoles are supposed to be the most diffuse and hence very suitable for creating ambience of movie soundtracks while normal speakers (also called monopoles) are very directional and hence preferred for music.
    Bipoles are somewhere in between and (can) have a better bass response as dipoles where the sound of the bass from both drivers cancels each other out due to the design (speakers operating out of phase).

And as HC Dude correctly says, one run (one pair) of wires to each "box" is sufficient, even for bi-wirable speakers where you will find a metal bridge between the terminals (the connectors).
    [This will need to be removed for bi-wiring.]

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

5. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot. Your knowledge sharing has been much appreciated.