Silly question- Do speaker wires degrade?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by amrypooins, Aug 6, 2006.

1. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My rear speakers in my surround set up have both started crackling terribly,I have swapped them out for new speakers, and they are doing the same.

This leads me to beleive the problem is with my speaker wire- I have had the same wire for 2 years now, so is it possible its degraded?
    Ive never had this happen before with previous set ups.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

2. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Take it back.

Been playing urther with my set up and I think my receiver is dead! Its fine unless I am playing a DD signal then it distorts in the rear and centre speakers like crazy and a DTS one wont play at all!

3. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    It can indeed degrade but not to the point where it sounds awful after just 2 years.

Does sound like your amp is the culprit.:(

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    trim a couple inches of the ends of the wire and see if that makes a difference.....oh and check the wire all the way along to make sure it hasnt been damaged somehow....

the copper can corrode which can lead to a disruption in the signal, although it shouldnt be like that after just a couple years.....

mind you, depends on the cable, if its the ultra nasty cheapo stuff from a dirt cheap Dixons package, well, you never know what its made of, could just be 2 strands of the stuff and one has disintegrated...lol

anyhow, try the trimming routine (i'm assuming we are talking about normal speaker cable that you wire up to the system yourself) if not try and get some other cable and see if that makes a difference.....if not then it could be the main amp unit has a problem...