1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silly question - depth of feild preview

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mr jones, Aug 7, 2005.

1. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i might be asking a dumb question here but what exactly does pressing this button show me in the viewfinder, it does something with the lens but thats about it, i aint a clue otherwise, thought that as its a prominant button on the camera it must be of some importance.

as i shoot mainly in Av mode (the only mode it has any use) it might be of some use to me

thanks in advance

cue "it allows you to preview the depth of field man innit cha" responses :nono:

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Well, it does. :D

When you focus on a subject, the viewfinder will often show the whole image in focus, with DOF preview the lens is stopped down to whatever apperture you have selected, giving you a better idea of how your shot will come out.

So if you are using a large apperture, the background will appear sharp in the viewfinder, then by using the preview you will see a much shorter DOF, leaving only the subject focussed.

In some instances, you may only notice the image get a little darker.

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Good question!
    When it was a film only world then the question may have been more pertinent!
    However with Digital it’s easy to try something, see the result and if it doesn’t work adjust immediately and see the what happens next ;)

The thing is when you view anything through the viewfinder (SLR) you are seeing the image through the lens at its widest aperture 1.4/1.8 etc! Even though you may have the lens stopped down to say F18 etc!

Pressing the DOF button stops the lens down to the app you have set (etc F18) the image will darken obviously and that's always been the problem!

Back when I used to use film I rarely used the DOF button on any of my camera's but instead relied on the lens scales on the lens barrels.

Have I used the DOF button on my 300D?
    Errrrm nope!

4. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    ahhh right i get it. but yeh, just had a bit of a play with it and i get it now

its not really any use for me anyway as the majority of the stuff i shoot is at max apature anyway :rolleyes:

5. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Thas it :smashin:
    Just remember whenever you look through the viewfider you are seeing the world at the lens widest app, so if you use dof preview while the lens is set at the largest app you will see no difference!
    Easy really :D

6. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    double posts :lease:

7. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My SLR days were manual only so the aperture you set was the aperture you looked through. Got a bit dim at the higher f stops.

I've had my fair share of wine with dinner tonight but I think miniholic has it the wrong way round. Your normal view is wide open and shallow DOF - preview button closes the aperture and improves the DOF to what you will get on the shot