1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly Question - Backing Up DVDs

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ap69, Aug 26, 2005.

1. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Am sure this is a no-brainer for most of you clever folks, but what software could/should I use for backing up my commerical DVDs onto my PC's hard drive?
    Eventually I'd like to play these through my plasma screen, but I like the thought of putting all my DVD content in one place (and possibly enhancing output quality).

Many thanks

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I use DVDshrink which is excellent imo, you can also rip them to the hd without shrinking the files. It also allows you to reauthor the dvd so you can cut the credits out etc and save on space.

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    DVD Decrypter is my favourite - although the guy who wrote it has been closed down by the authority's but there may still be some copies of the software floating around on the net.

lisa

4. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Inzaman/Lisa - thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    Just a few more questions:
    Do your choices offer any sort of enhancement to picture quality?
    Is the copy protection an issue (note: this is strictly for my purchased DVDs, before anyone complains!)
    What about Divx/Xvid - do these allow DVD backup?

Cheers

5. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I use DVD Xcopy, the old version that allows a backup removing the CSS copy protection, just 2 mouse clicks and it's done, might have trouble finding an old copy though.

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I think enhancing pq on DVD's will depend on how you play them back, a mixture of hardware and software configuration.

Divx/Xvid are codecs that enable you to compress the files to a smaller size, you always lose some quality in doing this, how much depends a lot on which codec, which form of compression, how much compression and how you view them afterwards.

lisa

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    there was a thread on avsforum about ripping your DVDs and using software to process the picture prior to saving but this was pretty convoluted as I remember. not sure it would give enough of a benefit over just using a good software/hardware combination (like Theatertek 2 dvd player and an nvidia 6600GT card) to be worth it.

if you're interested you could do a search on www.avsforum.com and look for it, IIRC it had "avisynth" in the title.

HTH
    owain

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I'd have thought (this is a guess though) that this would be more troublesome because if you do not like the enhancements you will have to re-rip the movie to the hd. I'd also imagine that this would take considerable time, i personally rip them as they are then use ffdshow to post process. Mine too are all my own movies as i am in the process of building some form of movie juke box.

9. Fast Jon

Fast Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am definitely a non-techie, but I have backed up my DVD collection (including quite a few R1 discs) using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Both are freeware and easy to use. My backups are region-free and the originals now live in a drawer where they won't get damaged.
    You only need to shrink if you are backing up dual layer originals to single layer +R or -R. You can also use DVD Shrink to chop out unwanted content such as theatrical trailers and foreign soundtracks.